Author Topic: Forum Member "Rankings"...  (Read 3485 times)

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Forum Member "Rankings"...
on: July 04, 2018, 02:15:22 AM
How do you guys feel about the titles given to forum posters based on how often they post? ("Jr.Member", "Senior member", "Hero Member", etc...) I think it's kind of weird and is a bit of a liability. I would rather it be indiscriminate, or make it so everyone is the same and doesn't have a title. I think this because I think people single you out because of it. I think it facilitates the illusion of some weird hierarchy and that it would be better if everyone was "perceived" as the same.

I get that it's supposed to be fun and encouraging, but it makes me feel like a loud mouth ("You are a F***ing loud mouth Drow"). And I may very well be a loud mouth, but I don't want a title implying I may be one. I think everyone should be able to post, regardless if they're frequent or infrequent, opinionated or reserved, on the forums without the feelings of implication. I just saw my "title" and I was like, "WTF? Hero?" then I got kind of embarrassed and felt I posted too much. But what if I didn't have that title? Then I wouldn't think twice to post opinions, suggestions or jokes. I would be free to just honestly post because I would feel the same as everyone else. "He's a 'hero member', means he has no life and post too damn much, don;t listen to him."

You may think I'm looking too much into this, but I just got a little criticized on another post based on how frequent I post, like I "OWN" something. I though, "Oh God, does he think I'm one of THOSE forum posters? Because I don't. And I wouldn't want him to think my opinion matters over anyone else." And it shouldn't, even if I am a bored forum patroller sitting at work in his cubicle. "Titles" shouldn't matter, don't let it, please.

If I could make a suggestion to MSE it would be either to remove titles OR, at least hide them.

Ok, back to insurance calls.

ArnoldCat

• View Profile
Re: Forum Member "Rankings"...
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 03:09:30 AM
You are my "Hero"  ;) ;)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 03:17:55 AM by ArnoldCat »

gearedbeast

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 03:20:37 AM
I like titles in general,  I think they are fun. There's no true defining trait other than you post a lot and that's not a bad thing.
It doesn't show your opinion or how much is in each text box.

People are going to assume that what  they want because there's no real definition to the title's. You could be a noob making tons of shit post or an artist that likes to post simple and easy doodles. Let people assume whatever they want. It makes them look that much more stupid when they're wrong

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 05:41:30 AM
Forum titles based on activity have existed since the dawn of the internet, afaik. I never paid them much attention, they are just kinda.... there. And I've been on forums since the dial-up days :P

BeertheBrad

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 03:01:05 AM
"You are a F***ing loud mouth Drow"

Hahaha. Don't ever change Drow... don't ever change.

dowell_jason

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 01:32:04 PM
I wouldnt worry about the titles. You can have a fancy title and be good or bad. Its just a label.

B30

• I stopped playing
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 02:12:39 PM
If I remember correctly, there was already a movie about you. Let me think, … what was it called … well … umm … ahh yes, I remember now, it was called „The POST-man“ (well, it wasn’t the best movie, but hey …).  ;) Just kidding, don’t be mad at me.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 06:43:00 PM
Kevin Costner? Ugh, what an overrated actor. So dry, monotone and he only has one roll he can play, Kevin Costner. How about Gary Oldman? Can you think of a movie by him? Now THAT'S an actor.

dowell_jason

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 09:35:45 PM
Your my new friend Drow. I have been on a rant for years about Kevin Costner. He like Adam Sandler, he is himself in every  movie.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:55:28 PM by dowell_jason »