Author Topic: Game is far from perfect...  (Read 6307 times)

XjabberwockieX

• View Profile
Game is far from perfect...
on: December 27, 2017, 05:20:04 AM
This game is far from perfect BUT what is up with the level of hate it is getting. When I look on PS store or more recently on the Xbox store the 'Ultimate Edition' is at like 2/5 stars. Im talking almost 2 stars below nearly EVERY other game.
  Now look, I have my issues with the game, (Ridiculous costume prices, long wait times on missions, being forced to play as Antagonist to unlock practically everything, no meaningful way to advance in the game without multiplayer or if you are having hard time finding others to play with.) but even with those gripes, and nearly all of them could be addressed, the public seems to LOATHE this game judging by the ratings.
  So what do you guys think it is that has led to this level of hate. I mean 2 stars are terrible and if Mercurysteam doesnt do something to right this ship, this game is doomed. I know most people who see a score that low wont even bother to look into it any further and that hurts the game's chances long term. How can this be fixed, maybe some of the ideas you all have can help Mercurysteam save this thing. I believe in the game, I want to see it do well.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 07:32:46 AM by XjabberwockieX »

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Re: Game is far from perfect...
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 08:18:39 AM
The amount of hate typically comes from a few sources... First and foremost, the fact that people will always claim it's a free to play that isn't a free to play and it should be in a different part of the marketplace. Second, the difficulty is quite grueling and well above and beyond what current generation games typically showcase so that also can put off players not willing to invest real time into learning characters inside and out. Third, lag will cause some of the most heinous glitches and can ruin a match for players regardless of what role they are in. Also, the price points are a huge point of contention but... most people complaining are also playing quite a bit as well... including myself. Some, like myself are doing the best to have faith the game will survive and even thrive.

Black_Adder_

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 09:54:47 AM
They added printscreens and trailer for Eternal Soldier (which is free to play btw, so it's put in the right section). Most people will look at those instead of rating stars. I for one actually don't even know how to rate something on PS store and don't care much about doing something like that. The trailers are cool, the print screens are cool and the rest is up to PS4 users to try the game themselves.

Adrian_123

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 10:25:56 AM
They added printscreens and trailer for Eternal Soldier (which is free to play btw, so it's put in the right section). Most people will look at those instead of rating stars. I for one actually don't even know how to rate something on PS store and don't care much about doing something like that. The trailers are cool, the print screens are cool and the rest is up to PS4 users to try the game themselves.

The company must work, take feedback and try to have a good game online reputation. All those bad reviews, form a bad concept of the game in the user minds, and if you try a game knowing that others have reviewed it as bad, as soon you see any trouble with it you will join the bad reviewers point of view.

Is harder to go against everyone than joining the mass opinion. MercurySteam have not worked at all in this game online reputation.

The mix "Free to Play", "Episodic", "Full AAA price" marketing aproach is horrible. No one have seen anything like that before, and no one is going to take the time to understand it.

People looks other game prices and compared with "RotBP" price, this one have little to offer.

They are calling the attention of people that want to play for free and trying to sell them a 60€ game, that needs grinding to have acces to the character's they have payed for...

What could go wrong?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:03:23 AM by Adrian_123 »

Black_Adder_

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 11:09:15 AM
I actually took the time to check PS4 store - Eternal Soldier 4/5 stars; Alien Myths 4,5/5 stars; Wardog Fury 4/5 stars; Ultimate edition DOESN'T HAVE ANY RATING YET.

At least on PS4 store there are lot of games that are not free to play on FREE TO PLAY section: demos, just some parts of online etc. The worst I remeber is Fortnite - those F-ers put the game in Free to play section months before Battle Royale came out. I downloaded it then and first thing I saw was "Hi, to play the game you must buy one of these packs".
Mercury has actually put free to play mission in Free to play section so you can play it and decide whenever you want to actually pay for any more missions or not. The only bad decision from their side was to not add any print screens or trailer to Eternal Soldier and they did it now.

Adrian_123

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 11:27:56 AM
I actually took the time to check PS4 store - Eternal Soldier 4/5 stars; Alien Myths 4,5/5 stars; Wardog Fury 4/5 stars; Ultimate edition DOESN'T HAVE ANY RATING YET.

That is good to know, that at least on PS4 Store they have good ratings.

Could you explain to me how the PS Plus suscription works? I think they have Wardog Fury campaign available for "Free" (actually is not free because you are paying a suscription) to the suscribers of that service. That could explain the positive reviews.

At least on PS4 store there are lot of games that are not free to play on FREE TO PLAY section: demos, just some parts of online etc.

It is a shame.

Black_Adder_

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 12:17:53 PM
You have to pay for PS plus to have online access to most games. You also get some free monthly games and exclusive discounts on sales or sometimes even exclusive sales. Same principle is for X box as far as I know. I am pretty sure that all ratings on PS store for this game are from PS plus subscribers because people without PS plus can only play solo mode.
The only games that I've played and which didn't require PS plus for online were 3 on 3 freestyle (free to play game with heavy pay to win emphasis) and Final Fantasy XIV which is MMO with monthly subscription anyways.

Adrian_123

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 01:09:04 PM
You have to pay for PS plus to have online access to most games. You also get some free monthly games and exclusive discounts on sales or sometimes even exclusive sales. Same principle is for X box as far as I know. I am pretty sure that all ratings on PS store for this game are from PS plus subscribers because people without PS plus can only play solo mode.
The only games that I've played and which didn't require PS plus for online were 3 on 3 freestyle (free to play game with heavy pay to win emphasis) and Final Fantasy XIV which is MMO with monthly subscription anyways.

Is it world wide or it depends of geographic areas... EU, USA, ASIA..

XjabberwockieX

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 05:04:31 PM

At least on PS4 store there are lot of games that are not free to play on FREE TO PLAY section: demos, just some parts of online etc. The worst I remeber is Fortnite - those F-ers put the game in Free to play section months before Battle Royale came out. I downloaded it then and first thing I saw was "Hi, to play the game you must buy one of these packs".
Mercury has actually put free to play mission in Free to play section so you can play it and decide whenever you want to actually pay for any more missions or not. The only bad decision from their side was to not add any print screens or trailer to Eternal Soldier and they did it now.

Sorry if I had mistaken the PS4 ratings, I play RotBP on ps4 and recall the ratings being quite underwhelming compared to the majority of other games on there. My post really came after seeing the Xbox one rating for 'The Ultimate Edition' sitting slightly above 2 stars that prompted me to bring this up. I agree with pretty much all of the points you all are bringing up. Hopefully Mercurysteam will do everything they can to turn this around.

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 04:20:42 AM
It's not much better on Xbox... a lot of the time if something is a bundle it will borrow its reviews from parts of the bundle already out. At least, that is how it looks to me since some of those reviews have dates older than the bundle itself. Right now, if you're even remotely supporting the game you're likely perceived as a raging fanboy and that makes it hard to win over new players who would rather feed off all the negative feedback before they even touch the game. However, I have seen more stuff on YouTube recently and for our part it might be about getting even remotely popular streamers to try it.