Author Topic: Newbie with a simple question...  (Read 11505 times)

DropzofCrimzon

• View Profile
Newbie with a simple question...
on: April 30, 2018, 10:56:49 PM
How viable is the "single player"?

I am referring to this from the FAQ

"IS THERE A SINGLE PLAYER MODE?
Yes, you can play the game completely solo if you wish, although you won’t gain the rewards you would if playing in multiplayer."

And

"CAN OTHER PLAYERS AFFECT MY GAME EXPERIENCE WITHOUT MY CONSENT?
The single player game cannot be crashed into, you will fight your way as the story unfolds and live the full Raiders of the Broken Planet experience uninterrupted if you desire to."

My Question tho is "how viable is it really?"

Can I really play it all (the full raiders of the broken planet experience) without the progression system (as I understand it you simply cannot progress while playing solo, and I am ok with it) as if it was a normal single player TPS game or will I get smacked around after the first few levels because my character is not leveling up and does not have access to upgraded weapons?

Can someone give me an honest to God, genuine set of impressions as per how the solo game is?

I have heard some very mixed and contradicting things about it so I thought maybe getting the answer straight from the source would be best.

Thanks in advance.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Re: Newbie with a simple question...
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 11:13:52 PM
First of, you can choose your own difficulty level, Easy, Medium, Hard and Very Hard. Each difficulty rewards a certain amount of gold, only once. And the greater the difficulty the greater the gold. And there is a total gold pool that is shared across all the difficulties in that if you do the hardest level you get all the gold from the easier difficulties.

Is it fun? Well, not as fun as being with a group of 3 other players online. For one there are more enemies. not that a lot of enemies is fantastic, but the solo mode there is like 2 or 3. And it feels really lonely.

After you get all the gold (if you can do the hardest modes, I can't) it has very little use other than trying new build, characters and weapons before diving into online. Other than this, it is really a waste of time and is not rewarding. You have to go online to gain any progress. You are also FORCED to PvP, if that was your concern. You may not get invaded all the time, but you will get invaded. AND, in order to progress in any meaningful way you will also be FORCED to play as an antagonist, an "invader", in order to get certain important perks and weapons for your character.

It cannot be invaded by other players at all. It is offline.

DropzofCrimzon

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 12:54:53 AM
Well, the same could be said about Gears of war or halo really...

So let me ask you, are the stories in the campaign worth it?

Are there diverse weapons to try without having to dive into MP?

Are the mechanics (shooting,  fluidity and whatnot) on par with other similar games?

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 01:43:36 AM
Well, the same could be said about Gears of war or halo really...

So let me ask you, are the stories in the campaign worth it?

Are there diverse weapons to try without having to dive into MP?

Are the mechanics (shooting,  fluidity and whatnot) on par with other similar games?

The offline game guarantees that you will start out with your characters default weapon, and you can equip them with any other claim you earned from online mode.

The story line is fun to see, a lot of good cut scenes both at the beginning, the middle and the end of each mission.   It is fun to play through, but knowing that there are other items, upgrades, stat perks you could be getting makes the offline experience non-appealing for more than the one time gold run. You have to realize Halo had no benefit for playing online, you got nothing really for it other than achievements, not sure about Gears. With those games, as well, you could play Co-op mode online with no PvP if you didn't want to, you had the CHOICE of PvE and PvP. You weren't forced. And so the experience for a campaign player was really the same ofline or offline and you had LESS incentive to go online other than the thrill of it.

Also with raiders, this is a Hero Team Shooter/beat em up, not an FPS. You sound like you are used to games where you pick up enemy weapons (I wish I could get the mooks assault rifle, good at all ranges). You only have your one characters weapon, you don't pick up new weapons from enemies. You only get different weapons by earning them through loot rolls at the end of missions IF their "Blue Print" drops, and, sadly, this is only online.

The mechanics offline are even better offline. It's a very fluid game, but again, is not a straight FPS, it's got a lot of special ability mechanics and melee combat is a BIG thing in this game. It doesn't play like Overwatch or Unreal where you are basically a floating turret that moves with no weight or gravity affecting it. Your character is very "physical" and can't turn unrealistically fast like other shooters, nor can you run at full speed and then change direction on a dime, you move more realistically. But this is a good thing considering the nature of the game.

I happen to like the story line. There is an overarching story line and then three current campaigns, each with 4 missions, that have their own unique plot arch.

DropzofCrimzon

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 05:23:21 AM
I'm sorry man,  I'm not trying to be an ass.... but what I'm getting from your response is:

-The controls handle poorly for no other reason other than "the devs want it so"...which mind you... nothing that cannot be overlooked if the rest of the game is great to but it really sounds like a poor excuse like it was for dark soul.

-Each"hero" can equip only one weapon that can be changed out in between missions....again not a problem, I finished Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda basically using solely 1 weapon (the crusader shotgun)  but then again playing solo I will never be able to upgrade or purchase other weapons or tweak the existing one because I'm not getting any xp and very limited gold for no better reason that I simply do not want to play with others and somehow AI companions are not a thing.

The one thing I would want to play this for is the story...and the world building.

I think I will eventually actually play this...when the devs decide to respect solo players a little more.

Thanks for the answers man.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 06:43:58 PM
The controls are more realistic, man, not poor. You aren't a floating turret like other games. Think Gears of War.

DropzofCrimzon

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 05:27:02 PM
The controls are more realistic, man, not poor. You aren't a floating turret like other games. Think Gears of War.

Ok you kinda should have LEAD with that man LOL. That is not poor, that is how a TPS controls should be.

Ok so now the ONLY problem is the goddamn progression for solo players. I am not sure why solo players are so heavily penalized.

I think I'm gonna have to maybe try the free trial mission and then decide

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 07:08:04 PM

Ok you kinda should have LEAD with that man LOL. That is not poor, that is how a TPS controls should be.

Ok so now the ONLY problem is the goddamn progression for solo players. I am not sure why solo players are so heavily penalized.

Well it's a philisophical choice the developers made. MOST games that are FPS are SUPER unrealistic on how you move, how you aim, and how you switch directions, humans aren't floating turrets. There isn't anything wrong with floating turret games, like Overwatch, Quake, Serious Sam, Doom, etc... they're just silly fun, not meant to be taken serious or are too old of games to have realistic movements. Some games, however, want to emulate the feeling that your character is actually substantial, not a floating turret ghost, and has weight in the physical world. You cant 160 on a dime at full speed, you cant run and hold your gun PERFECTLY still while doing so, not even top snipers in REAL LIFE can do that. You can't go from zero to 60 the moment you hit the forward button. It's just more gritty and realistic.

Try it out, if you don't like it don't play it. There are plenty of floaty turret games out there.

DropzofCrimzon

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 08:52:24 PM
Ugh...dude, please tell me I am doing something wrong and that you CAN pause the game while playing solo...

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 09:00:44 PM
Ugh...dude, please tell me I am doing something wrong and that you CAN pause the game while playing solo...

No, lol. For some reason modern games that ALSO have online mode don't have pause on their offline mode. It's really silly, especially as an old school gamer. It won't affect your MMR or anything, you can just load it back up and do it again if something went wrong.

But I understand how you feel about it. The only reason I can think that they would do this would be that they don't want players to get used to a crutch before going online, where there is no pause, of course. But my counter to this would be, This is a rated M game, grown ups are playing this (or should be). We can discern the relevant difference between online and offline.

/shrug

rhammer

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 07:58:44 AM
I'm sorry man,  I'm not trying to be an ass.... but what I'm getting from your response is:

-The controls handle poorly for no other reason other than "the devs want it so"...which mind you... nothing that cannot be overlooked if the rest of the game is great to but it really sounds like a poor excuse like it was for dark soul.

-Each"hero" can equip only one weapon that can be changed out in between missions....again not a problem, I finished Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda basically using solely 1 weapon (the crusader shotgun)  but then again playing solo I will never be able to upgrade or purchase other weapons or tweak the existing one because I'm not getting any xp and very limited gold for no better reason that I simply do not want to play with others and somehow AI companions are not a thing.

The one thing I would want to play this for is the story...and the world building.

I think I will eventually actually play this...when the devs decide to respect solo players a little more.

Thanks for the answers man.

U r pretty much right.

Solo is pointless. U earn gold for the first completion and thats it. Everything good is locked between 4vs1 mode aka 4 raiders and 1 antagonist. Some things u can only earn when u play as antagonist, some as raiders. Plus a lot of RNG. Controls are Bad! Only thing i love is auto cover. Melee fight is very basic and broken. Also, do Not and I repeat Do Not invest any money in thus game, I just bough one campaign to see if I can play anything other then free for everyone weekly mission and out of 12-15 games it matched me only Once with  mission which wasn't weekly. If u will try to queue up for a specifically bought mission - its a waste - I waited for 30 mins in matchmaking - no luck. So I play this game as a filler while waiting for other games to come out or my usual games drop an update. Until Dev balances it out and introduce it to more players ... This game is dead outside the one weekly mission they release... And even then they matchmaking system is broken that it will match u 4 Lvl 1 raiders against experienced Lvl 50+ antagonist. So, thats my honest point of view of this game.

rhammer

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 08:01:48 AM

No, lol. For some reason modern games that ALSO have online mode don't have pause on their offline mode. It's really silly, especially as an old school gamer. It won't affect your MMR or anything, you can just load it back up and do it again if something went wrong.

But I understand how you feel about it. The only reason I can think that they would do this would be that they don't want players to get used to a crutch before going online, where there is no pause, of course. But my counter to this would be, This is a rated M game, grown ups are playing this (or should be). We can discern the relevant difference between online and offline.

/shrug

Most of the games I play got Pause feature on solo mode... U need an example? How about Warframe for example ANY solo playing mission can be paused and resumed at players command.

rhammer

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 08:07:08 AM

Well it's a philisophical choice the developers made. MOST games that are FPS are SUPER unrealistic on how you move, how you aim, and how you switch directions, humans aren't floating turrets. There isn't anything wrong with floating turret games, like Overwatch, Quake, Serious Sam, Doom, etc... they're just silly fun, not meant to be taken serious or are too old of games to have realistic movements. Some games, however, want to emulate the feeling that your character is actually substantial, not a floating turret ghost, and has weight in the physical world. You cant 160 on a dime at full speed, you cant run and hold your gun PERFECTLY still while doing so, not even top snipers in REAL LIFE can do that. You can't go from zero to 60 the moment you hit the forward button. It's just more gritty and realistic.

Try it out, if you don't like it don't play it. There are plenty of floaty turret games out there.

You forgetting one thing ... This is a broken planet, space, aliens, sci-fi... U dont become invisible, or astral project urself in "real life", or shoot spore to impregnate enemies with a gun and suck the life out if them... So if we r playing aliens ... On a broken space planet why the hell u r applying every day earth physics  and logic to this? R u serious right now?

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 02:03:45 AM

You forgetting one thing ... This is a broken planet, space, aliens, sci-fi... U dont become invisible, or astral project urself in "real life", or shoot spore to impregnate enemies with a gun and suck the life out if them... So if we r playing aliens ... On a broken space planet why the hell u r applying every day earth physics  and logic to this? R u serious right now?

Well, yea, it's called suspension of disbelief. Raiders is a more "mature" take on Sci-Fi while Overwatch is a more Pixar cartoony version of Sci-Fi. Both are Sci-Fi but one has more suspension of disbelief. So, no floating turrets.

Star Wars and Star Trek both have aliens, laser beams, and space ships, but one is more "grounded" and the other is more fantastic. That's what suspension of disbelief is all about, it's a choice creators make.

rhammer

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 10:53:08 PM

Well, yea, it's called suspension of disbelief. Raiders is a more "mature" take on Sci-Fi while Overwatch is a more Pixar cartoony version of Sci-Fi. Both are Sci-Fi but one has more suspension of disbelief. So, no floating turrets.

Star Wars and Star Trek both have aliens, laser beams, and space ships, but one is more "grounded" and the other is more fantastic. That's what suspension of disbelief is all about, it's a choice creators make.

Excuses. Still dont see a logical explanation how turning into a robot dog, or invisible is different from faster running... I call it BS