Author Topic: I Have a Concern about Offline  (Read 7248 times)

Level9Drow

• View Profile
I Have a Concern about Offline
on: March 07, 2018, 07:18:49 PM
I'm a gen-Xer gamer so I grew up purchasing games and owning them and playing them for years, like books, you go back and pull out a game form the shelf (Like FF Tactics, Enclave or Halo 2) and play it years later. Now I REALLY like this game so I'm wondering what the future of this game will be.

I'm not sure if anyone here has heard, Gigantic, a hero shooter 3rd person MOBA just died. Now it was a free game, but anyone who liked the game cannot go and play it. Since it's online only it's gone.

That got me thinking of other games I get that I enjoy. Evolve is dead, but I can go back and play offline campaign mode just fine, and it's a complete experience, albeit against AI, but all of your earned items are yours and you can use them. For RotBP you have nothing until you connect with Mercurysteam servers and then you have all of your earned items.

Years from now, when I go back and show friends or sit down and play some RotBP will I have all the things I earned in the game? Even if the servers are offline? I would like to think, that at the very least 3, 5 or even 10 years from now I can still play this game solo mode with all the things I earned.

TheBrentWoody

• View Profile
Re: I Have a Concern about Offline
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 07:22:35 PM
Whenever they shut down servers a lot of games make more client side data for posterity sake. I hope Mercury does, but I also hope this is a non issie

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 07:27:32 PM
Whenever they shut down servers a lot of games make more client side data for posterity sake. I hope Mercury does, but I also hope this is a non issie

Me to, on all of what you said.

TheBrentWoody

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 07:51:28 PM
It's a chapter game, which could be extended for a very long time. Which is awesome. I

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 09:54:32 PM
Years from now let's hope we're playing a sequel and this universe expands further than their original vision we saw in this game. I mean... imagine if we had missions not just on this planet but Earth as well and possibly other planets or dimensions. I see this game as a foothold but not anywhere close to what I would like to see nor know this developer can be capable of.

TheBrentWoody

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 09:59:57 PM
Agreed. I do think that it should link with this game if they use carry over characters
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:16:41 PM by TheBrentWoody »

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 10:27:09 PM
I agree and have high hopes as well. The lore has a ton of potential to expand upon. And the characters themselves are very distinct.

Then LordDraco can beat me up on planet Earth and other Dimensions to. Where can a poor PvEer run... ;)

TheBrentWoody

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 11:11:28 PM
Ha!

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 05:39:31 AM

Quanrian

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 12:49:17 PM
*Batman carefully applies the Shea Butter to his chin to achieve maximum smoothness*

Black_Adder_

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 11:09:10 AM
Mercury already replied to one of offline whine posts that they included offline mode only to let players test new weapons and card combinations on AI. There is no other purpose for offline mode as just training and testing your stuff.

Power Penguin

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 04:19:05 PM
Mercury already replied to one of offline whine posts that they included offline mode only to let players test new weapons and card combinations on AI. There is no other purpose for offline mode as just training and testing your stuff.

I'd honestly rather have a dojo or just a more controlled environment to test out builds.

Quanrian

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 05:43:20 PM
No matter how many times it comes up we always get back to wanting a controlled environment. The temple they all leave from would be a great setting for such a thing and rather then a virtual environment it could done as a sort of induced hallucination. However, it doesn't mean offline mode should be left alone I just don't believe it's a priority for them right now. That said, there is a chance it will change as a result of the regular online mode changing.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 06:12:36 PM

So what you're saying is that once their servers go down, in the event that the game get's old, that we will have nothing to show for all of the things we earned for off line? Your reply within the context of this post would imply this.

I sincerely hope you are wrong, because this would be flat out robbery.

Quanrian

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 05:29:16 AM
This wont happen for a while. I wouldn't worry much about that now. You're thinking 'way' ahead by maybe not even months but perhaps a year from now. By then we could very see a sequel to Raiders of the Broken Planet or other works that are related to this wonderful universe they created. Still hoping at some point we get a companion application.