Author Topic: We're Free to Play - Embrace It  (Read 3068 times)

omeganx

• View Profile
We're Free to Play - Embrace It
on: December 19, 2017, 04:44:41 AM
You Can SKip my thoughts and go straight to BOLD sentence if you want for suggestions:
So I've introduced this game to a few friends and they agree, while the world characters and gameplay is fun. However the waits, the price for characters, and new missions(which to them seems greedy). The problem is based on the free-to-play style is hurting this game because we're going halfsies with it. I understand why you wanted others to play a little bit first let's be real - it's ONE mission. Each campaign that you buy has four so even when you claim we get Eternal Soldier "for free" to people who don't read your blogs nor understand your intention. To them, you are making them play ONE MISSION over and over with super long queues and THEN you say, "pay us $10 " for a chance at possibly longer queues and gods know what else.
Now you gave the people a BUY-ALL option which is good. However, when you priced it at $60, I can't imagine your process. IS it profitable to have a campaign(4 missions/whole new slew of content) cheaper than Ginebera?
All I'm saying is when people join your game, they see a free-to-play because you allowed them to buy heroes and rent missions, that's a free-to-play mechanic. So once people see that, then the next few things they're thinking is "How much fun can I have for free", "how much fun can I have while grinding for free" and lastly, "How much will costs to invest in this game?" So to them, your first two answers are:
1)One mission (I understand there are multiple characters and we have that Antagonist system) unable to gain rewards solo with the ability to rent a single mission for 4 hours.
2)Not a lot of fun due to the lack of missions and matchmaking. So by then, many are no longer even considering the third question - and the third question is the most important question!
Take Warframe (since a lot of people on here make the comparison)
There three answers would be(2 years ago):
1) You receive 1 of 3 warframes of your choosing, with 4 unique abilities and tons of weapons with a myriad of different tilesets, mission styles and lastly the ability to craft a new warframe.
2) A fair amount; Each time you warframe levels (just for using them) they get stronger, with tons of ways to modify them. Also, bosses at the end of each system hub to fight a boss with the chance of rare drops (that everyone receives).
3) First story mode will be coming out in a year but that will be free, but you can buy the other 5 warframes from $5-$20. Everything can be crafted or bought (to own).

I say ALL OF THAT to suggest this:
1. Embrace the Free-to-play, you may not have wanted to be considered it but you dipped your toes in it so it's what we have.
2. I also suggest free mission DAY, not Free mission hour, because your queues are still so long I would suggest twice/three times a month.
3. Provide more rewards to those who are sticking with you (daily credits, additional rewards for playing antagonist besides just a stigma.
4. Readjust your labeling to be a proud Free-to-Play game and learn master marketing yourself.
5. If you want to charge for the story mode, fine. But people coming in need to be able to have different missions. Create some(and by some, I mean a lot) non-story missions. Create a horde mode. Create so many different missions, not needing to be deep but just challenging, so that campaign can be played anyway the player wants while other will play "Quick Draw"(Quick match) because if it isn't story driven, players want to get in, get out and back into another game.
6. Remove the Lore prices or lower the prices to no more than 5g. This is another F2P model in a supposedly non-F2P game. Bring this to the forefront because your world/characters are the most interesting things you have.
7. Tangible Unlockables: Voice scripts (eg. Lycus telling the story of how he lost his arms), Cosmetic accessories rewarded by doing feats with a certain character.
8. Start the missions with 2 or 3 players if the wait exceeds a certain amount. I know you may be worried about this but if the game cant finds that last guy. Get the matchmaking a time frame, if it exceeds it, just like the game does, we move on without em'.
I believe this will bring you guys into strong numbers and get you in a position where you profit from a community. Sorry that this is so long, my friend doesn't get why I'm so concerned about this game but I am, I hope the Devs read this and I know this wont be easy.

gearedbeast

• View Profile
Re: We're Free to Play - Embrace It
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 05:08:34 AM
I hope these ideas are considered. They sound really good and similar to other solutions already posted. 
Also,  seriously,  communicate more with  your community beyond videos 4+ weeks apart. If you are making and considering our thoughts it be great to know once a week what you guys are doing and then you don't have to read the same post 50x.

omeganx

• View Profile
Re: We're Free to Play - Embrace It
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 07:59:23 AM
Yeah, I understand that many of my suggestions were already mentioned at one point or another, I just thought I would make my statement in detail and cover everything.
I read their recent post in the "Devs - speak to us" post so that 's reassuring whether they dislike my POV and ideas or not. :-)