Author Topic: First Beta session impressions [July_8-9th]  (Read 2231 times)

HexDecimal

• View Profile
First Beta session impressions [July_8-9th]
on: July 10, 2017, 11:24:11 PM
Hello all!

I just wanted to drop my first impressions after getting access last weekend!
I have been very eager to play this and it was great to finally get to it.

I have to say  firstly I love the character art and its a big reason I was drawn to this game initially more thananything as all we had were some screenshots a bits of footage here and there.
Having actually played the game I can say I am very impressed with the style of it and not disappointed at all. I love that the dialogue is quite adult manga and over the top. I am 43 so for me, the sometimes adult dialogue adds the feeling this game is not just for kids. I can see quite a lot of depth in the storyline and back history which adds gravitas to the characters and maps.

I love that the maps have specific objectives related to the storyline although initially I was a bit confused about how to trigger certain things like the columns in the newest mission. I initially could not figure out how to interact with them. The fact that there's a hint button (1 or 2 I think) is nice for newbies, My suggestion is to make that more obvious somehow as I did not see it till quite later. Maybe it should be more obvious for your first few games only so its gone later once you have played and won a few games.

I have to admit, at first I was sort of confused as to who the Raiders were. My initial thoughts are that Raiders are the ones "raiding" the planet (logically). But in your story the ones raiding the planet are the humans and not the Raiders (who defend it), so that was confusing initially. Not a deal breaker, just confusing.

The end of game award system made me chuckle, that pilot dude is a nice touch and not cheesy at all.

Game play feedback. Once I worked out all the buttons and movement style of the character I was playing, I really got into it. I played some solo intially just to get to grips before jumping into a couple of multiplayer games. The "no ammo until you melee the enemy" system is nice, this encourages you to keep moving and not just camp. I found ther AI quite challenging at times.
What copnfused me was that whilst initially it seemed the AI could not see me if I let my aggro bar reduce, later on that bar seemed to be constantly full. Some mechanic I am not getting going on there.

My last match involved a lengthy multiplayer session where it too 30  minutes to take out the guardians. I think this was mainly because other people playing had not figured out they had to shoot the guardians in a specific spot for the most damage return. Once I worked this out I took my time to hit only those spots (I was playing as Harec? the sniper) as the aggro return was heavy and a struggle to stay healthy. Those guardians will be easy to farm once people work that out (the tankiest character aggros whilst someone else does the damage etc), but it was not a boring 30 minutes at least. I was quite entertained.

Anyway thats all for now, more feedback after my next session, I look forward to it!
Keep up the good work!

WYRDBOY

• View Profile
Re: First Beta session impressions [July_8-9th]
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 04:52:25 PM
What copnfused me was that whilst initially it seemed the AI could not see me if I let my aggro bar reduce, later on that bar seemed to be constantly full. Some mechanic I am not getting going on there.
That is because different factions have different stats. Those stats are similar for characters in the same faction. As an example, for Umbra Wardogs (Alicia), the aleph bar is constantly at maximum or The Fifth Council (Konstantin, Dr. Kuzmann) are slow and tanky.
Although I've suggested to the devs that this should be balanced per character, not per faction, because it makes more sense to fine-tune stats for a character with it's own loadout and let people have different playstyles in each faction, so if someone likes the aesthetic of a given faction, they can still find a character that suits their playstyle.