Author Topic: Idea to balance Passive skills  (Read 2460 times)

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Idea to balance Passive skills
on: April 17, 2018, 08:25:47 PM
The new big complaint is levels and passives vs. balance. This makes low level players feel cheated by the system when they have to fight against higher levels.

I'd like to toss out the idea of changing the level up passives from their current combat-oriented flavor, to the Treasure Hunter, Bounty Hunter, and Affiliation (blueprint, gold, and faction point increases). This would require re-balancing the scaling on enemies, which currently feels way too high as it is, but this would make it less of a grind as you play more, and also help reduce complaints about mission rewards and blueprint drops.

Also, Forge levels are currently making it very difficult to pay for reconfiguring weapons at a player gets higher in levels, a forge level of 20 costs over 50k gold to make a rare weapon  :-\ Our costs go up as we level up, but our rewards currently do not. So a natural increase in rewards as your costs also go up makes sense.

My team has been playing with all weapons including these passives and we can definitely tell them make a difference, the tooltips just seem to be confusing. But the gold rate vs. blueprint costs seem like something that will get to be a real problem fairly quickly, and even gaining levels does not scale in rewards. You gain 2000 gold when you reach level 2, and you still gain 2000 gold when you reach level 150.

This would, of course, require rebalancing (weakening) all enemies to some degree to deal with the loss of these combat passives, which they currently seem built up to counter.

TheBrentWoody

• View Profile
Re: Idea to balance Passive skills
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 08:32:56 PM
The problem here is that the Devs already should have a projected time to grind in their head, and changing these passives to passive treasure increase will only cause a downward adjustment of loot tables to compensate for the gained time via those passives.  Any passive thing given to you by the game is simply false progress adjusted for by the game design.  I hit for +10 damage now, but the mooks have 30+ health so it still takes the same number of hits.  etc etc. 

The same goes for getting gold "I get 1000 extra gold now" which split means 500, which means you actually get to use that perk probably 40% of the time if you balance gold getting and affiliation getting cards.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Re: Idea to balance Passive skills
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 10:33:14 PM
I might be late already LordDraco, but Brent just made this post and it solves nearly all the problems I can think of:

https://www.raidersofthebrokenplanet.com/community/index.php?topic=1378.msg6542;topicseen#msg6542