Author Topic: Still Too Many Antagonists  (Read 5172 times)

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Still Too Many Antagonists
on: May 30, 2018, 08:34:28 AM
Can you tone down the amount of invasions we get? not having fun. Antag always results in less rewards for raiders as they drive your score down and so you get less rewards. Seems to be a waste of raiders time and there is no pay off for us even if we win.

I've been getting a lot of new players who are disconnecting from playing against high level antagonists and you guys are losing them, I'm watching them get angry because a high level antagonists is just amusing themselves with lowbies, they leaving.

Haven't had a win in a long time, too many invasions. i'm  not getting anywhere. Not having any fun at all. I'm gonna have to start spamming the surrender and suiciding to get out of antag games ASAP if I can't get more games without them. I'm not given much of a choice. there simply too many antagonists. and it's pissing me off. NOT FUN at all. I feel like i'm wasting time. T

This needs to change. Make this PvP optional please.

gearedbeast

• View Profile
Re: Still Too Many Antagonists
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 03:45:48 PM
I agree with Level9Drow that getting antags are pointless Because if they're solid they can still lower your score by giving you deaths you wouldn't other wise get, and wasting time because they know how to destroy your objective. They are either flies that won't buzz off or bees that are constantly stinging you., and you don't get any compensation for their harassment. no offense to any regular antag players.
I recognize this system is an integral part of Raiders of the Broken Planet but it is not a good system. I won't ask for it to go away but please make it make it optional and all around better. A cool down period is a really good idea, and so is overall balancing but I know that can't be easy.

Also, Like to thank one antagonist who didn't bother my team on A Fist Full of Sand(PS4). I forgot to check out your name but really thankful for doing that. We only raised the score to 8.9 but that's because we were running a little behind on time. Thank you for being cool.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 07:05:27 PM
If they gave SIGNIFICANTLY more score when you win against an antag. They should make the antag count for more. Winning against an antag AT ALL should reward you far more than if you were playing against AI. But when you are annoyed, harassed, bullies, tilting during the whole match and you finally win against the petulant ass hole and then you get a 6.5 you pretty much lost anyways and the antag won, even though you completed the mission. Because despite winning, the effects of his existence is felt in your depleted rewards. So it's a hallow victory.

You said Fist full of Sand? If it was an Antagonists who never spawned it might have been me. I play antagonists for two games in order to get affinity. but when I do I use Ayana with her default weapon maxed out in TH and BH so I can get decent gold and blueprints even when I lose. I don't have the heart to ruin other player's games and lessen their rewards, I don't want them to feel they've wasted their time like I do when I get an antagonists.

gearedbeast

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 07:51:23 PM
it was a lycus player, and on PS4. Aren't you on Xbox? Either way I do agree with you on antags being a waste of effort when even if you beat the mission you still come out way to freaking low.
the current patch was good but I'd lose my mind if they make significant boost in antag reward score for Raiders.

4nalManiac

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 09:49:42 PM
Really again with the toxic antagonist comments? What if others want to play vs antag and they are stuck with someone who is just going to suicide and make it even harder isn't that toxic as well?

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 10:07:02 PM
Really again with the toxic antagonist comments? What if others want to play vs antag and they are stuck with someone who is just going to suicide and make it even harder isn't that toxic as well?

It depends. If i'm with experienced players I see it through, I'll bitch a moan, but I'll do it (you know this man). What I'm talking about is me, a level 90-sh player, with 3 other players of level 1 to 15, against a level 80+.

This is practically impossible. I just want out of that game ASAP. I don't thin new players even grasp the situation enough to appreciate the vast disadvantage they are in. They don;t understand that even if by some fluke we beat the antagonists barely the rewards for a 40 minute slog and 2 or three survives is going to be so abysmally low as to not merit even bothering with the match. We're talking a 5.5 rating win. that's basically losing. Why take 40 minutes to lose?

4nalManiac

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 12:06:22 AM
Well, I've got to give it to you that even if you bitch when we get an antag you kinda crawl with it. However, even if rewards are not that great remember when we beat a top anta? It was really cool, the least thing we care about was the rewards.
People focusing too much about balance and rewards are missing out on beating out the odds. Aside from that there is a lot you can learn from watching antags. I thought for some stupid reason that Alicia was one of the worst raiders. I was playing antag getting loss afer loss, then I realized that the common factor on those matches was Alicia!

I saw how other people played her and gave me some ideas to beat them as antagonist and then used her against antagonists. IT IS A CORE part of the game we shouldnt really get rid of it. Its like playing a moba and saying you know it would be better if it was more like an RTS, its not that type of game. Same with raiders it has that particular point. For me it really gets me nuts that it doesnt have side weapons AND grenades. WTF Mercury but I carry on because its their particular point of view on the genre.

Still I think Mercury should just make the option to play antag free with a little less rewards if you detest it that much and boost a little bit more if you are willing to get antag. They would have to get rid of the affinity thingy for weapons, maybe adding a faction point cost would be a solid option. Still keep the Aequilibrium I think that part benefits you and your team whether you antag or not.

Another game mode that I think it would be cool is several antagonist vs themselves and the CPU.  That way the "psychos" that still want to play antag can do it while not "trolling" raiders. That or bot Raiders. It would be a really nice complement to single player mode. Having a solo antag mode would rock! Just imagine up to 8 bot raiders vs you and an army of minions!

As a final note I think threads like "OMG THIS GAME SUCKS" "ANTAGONISTS KILLS ALL THE FUN" should stop or at least argument a little before just ranting along with a less clickbaity title. You will get more "exp" I mean real experience by getting mobbed down, yes is not fun but when you win and you eventually win is so rewarding.

Personally I stand at level 49 and just get great joy from beating a team of 4 in 150-250 level. They are like "pff we are going to wreck this guy" and then I win. All the odds were against me and coming on top of it that is something I wouldnt trade for "fairness" sometime I get owned and thats ok too. If you really dont want to "endure" this mechanic you can play less or quit a week or so and then come back I have done this and it really refreshes your look out of the game.

Mercury steam has the complete right to make the game however they want they will succed or fail but they know that it was their decision, not the publisher, not the marketing, not the press. It was theirs. Players not wanting antag mode, fine. Nobody forces you to keep playing. But certainly you just dont have the right to FORCE Mercury to change it. It was announced quite early, even as the premise of the game, 4vs1. You knew what you were getting into it. I remember when they said that it was going to be a hard game and I just laughed "Sure buddy just like COD or Gears 4 hour campaigns". They keep their promises we have to give them that.

There is always Overcrap if you want your user family friendly experience. (I just played it in a free weekend, the lore is cool and the characters are fine but what an underwhelming game feel. Floaty, cheap, alpha like...its way worst than I imagened it, it really felt like a weird mod for Quake 3 with downgraded speed, classes and a cell shaded look)

Just remember you can be instabanned for undesired "behaviour" along with vastly inferior graphics and dumbed down mechanics.  ;)

gearedbeast

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 12:49:05 AM
Some people prefer  reward balancing over the thrill of fighting an up hill battle is because those people have goals that can get impeded by the antagonist. This game brought in 2  very seperate groups of people and are being forced together with no way out. True that PvP is just as much of RotBP as PvE but a game with this  system would have a way to please both parties equally.

I don't think antagonist players are bad people and don't need to be called such but acting like something ain't wrong here is stupid, and raiders calling antagonist bullies is immature.

If Mercurysteam is going to keep both modes they need to seperate them completely but also have some kinda solo mission that introduces the antagonist role so people know out the gate whay they're getting into.  It's kinda clear as day there's a antagonist mode but people skills also be forced to play to Better understand it.  PvP and PvE is Raiders of the Broken Planet and neither is going away.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 03:10:19 AM
Well, I've got to give it to you that even if you bitch when we get an antag you kinda crawl with it. However, even if rewards are not that great remember when we beat a top anta? It was really cool, the least thing we care about was the rewards.
People focusing too much about balance and rewards are missing out on beating out the odds. Aside from that there is a lot you can learn from watching antags. I thought for some stupid reason that Alicia was one of the worst raiders. I was playing antag getting loss afer loss, then I realized that the common factor on those matches was Alicia!

I saw how other people played her and gave me some ideas to beat them as antagonist and then used her against antagonists. IT IS A CORE part of the game we shouldnt really get rid of it. Its like playing a moba and saying you know it would be better if it was more like an RTS, its not that type of game. Same with raiders it has that particular point. For me it really gets me nuts that it doesnt have side weapons AND grenades. WTF Mercury but I carry on because its their particular point of view on the genre.

Still I think Mercury should just make the option to play antag free with a little less rewards if you detest it that much and boost a little bit more if you are willing to get antag. They would have to get rid of the affinity thingy for weapons, maybe adding a faction point cost would be a solid option. Still keep the Aequilibrium I think that part benefits you and your team whether you antag or not.

Another game mode that I think it would be cool is several antagonist vs themselves and the CPU.  That way the "psychos" that still want to play antag can do it while not "trolling" raiders. That or bot Raiders. It would be a really nice complement to single player mode. Having a solo antag mode would rock! Just imagine up to 8 bot raiders vs you and an army of minions!

As a final note I think threads like "OMG THIS GAME SUCKS" "ANTAGONISTS KILLS ALL THE FUN" should stop or at least argument a little before just ranting along with a less clickbaity title. You will get more "exp" I mean real experience by getting mobbed down, yes is not fun but when you win and you eventually win is so rewarding.

Personally I stand at level 49 and just get great joy from beating a team of 4 in 150-250 level. They are like "pff we are going to wreck this guy" and then I win. All the odds were against me and coming on top of it that is something I wouldnt trade for "fairness" sometime I get owned and thats ok too. If you really dont want to "endure" this mechanic you can play less or quit a week or so and then come back I have done this and it really refreshes your look out of the game.

Mercury steam has the complete right to make the game however they want they will succed or fail but they know that it was their decision, not the publisher, not the marketing, not the press. It was theirs. Players not wanting antag mode, fine. Nobody forces you to keep playing. But certainly you just dont have the right to FORCE Mercury to change it. It was announced quite early, even as the premise of the game, 4vs1. You knew what you were getting into it. I remember when they said that it was going to be a hard game and I just laughed "Sure buddy just like COD or Gears 4 hour campaigns". They keep their promises we have to give them that.

There is always Overcrap if you want your user family friendly experience. (I just played it in a free weekend, the lore is cool and the characters are fine but what an underwhelming game feel. Floaty, cheap, alpha like...its way worst than I imagened it, it really felt like a weird mod for Quake 3 with downgraded speed, classes and a cell shaded look)

Just remember you can be instabanned for undesired "behaviour" along with vastly inferior graphics and dumbed down mechanics.  ;)

I agree with pretty much most of what you said here Fournal, but it's a bummer fighting tooth and nail for 40 minutes and then to get a 5.5 rating. It gives the incentives of PvPing  all to the antagonist and none to the raiders. It's like Marriage in America, one sided.

I do agree with "Overcrap" though, LOL. It's all PvP though, that's why I left it. And it's a bit too politically correct for my taste. Also, you are right, you are a floating turret in that game. Finally, Overwatch is the most toxic hero shooter in the world.

I'm surprised you touched that game, man. I figured that would be too soyboi for you, LOL.

4nalManiac

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 07:42:19 AM
Well it is but I love the rest of the blizzard franchises so I gave it a try but couldnt play more than 1 hour.

bronzegriff09

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 09:34:53 AM
As an antagonist, the rewards the antag get are often underwhelming as well. Honestly the whole system needs a rework. The only people who get stomped by an antag are people who dont strategize or think and get singled out often. Antagonists are quite easy to beat if you actually work as a team. When i Raider i rarely let the antag stop me from getting the good stuff.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 12:27:41 AM
As an antagonist, the rewards the antag get are often underwhelming as well. Honestly the whole system needs a rework. The only people who get stomped by an antag are people who dont strategize or think and get singled out often. Antagonists are quite easy to beat if you actually work as a team. When i Raider i rarely let the antag stop me from getting the good stuff.

You must be new to the game. "coordinating" in solo queue is impossible. Aslo the game tends to group you with low level players which is basically a loss with an antag.

As far as rewards go, the antag has only ONE mode to play, that's PvP. Saying the rewards suck for Antagonists doesn't have the equivalent context as it does for raiders. Raider's have PvE mode and get MORE rewards in it. Raiders playing against an antagonist ONLY get less rewards. If you fight hard and win you may get a 5.5 or 6 which means you get as much as if you little rewards. This value can be further ruined if the match is fought for 30 minutes or more whereas a winning game verses AI for 20 minutes get's you more.

Again, a 40 minute slog fest for a "win" where you get a rating of 6 means there is no incentive for raiders to PvP. I'ts actually more lucrative to surrender first chance you get, because you get more rewards for 8 minutes of gamelpay and get the hell out of that potential waste of time and onto a game whre there isn't an antag for REAL rewards.

Antagonist has PvP and has no comparatively "better" rewards in which to say he's wasting his time. The antagonists is PvP only and has EVERY incentive to win. Any reward he gets from winning, he cannot then say he would have gotten better rewards fighting verses AI Raiders, because there IS no AI raiders. The rewards he gets are as good as an antagonists can possibly get, whereas the raider gets BETTER rewards verses the AI.

the statement stands: All the incentives for PvP are with the antagonists and there is ABSOLUTELY NO incentives for Raiders. If you have been invaded you're rewards are already gimped regardless of a win. AT BEST you will break even and get rewarded the same as verses AI, which would, at the very least, make the antagonist just a liability, and worst you win and get 5.0 to 6.0 for 40 minutes having to share a shitty ass 3k gold with 3 other players. You get 1k, 1.5k gold for "winning"? It's garbage. If our team is outleveled and I'm in solo queue I surrender or suicide. It's a waste of time otherwise. If I stay we will most likely lose after 30 minutes and get very litle rewards and, again, if we were somehow able to miracvle a win we get, what, 500 more gold per person? Add the fact that PvEers like me just find the whole PvP experience abhorrent and no fin EVEN IF YOU WIN, the experience alone is bad. LAWL no, I'll surrender/suicide and move on to a match that is more profitable and more enjoyable.