Author Topic: Game Difficulty  (Read 4600 times)

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Game Difficulty
on: October 22, 2018, 12:00:12 AM
You missions after the patch have a higher difficulty than what the stated difficulty says. Previously we were only punished for making squads with a hidden difficulty (i.e. the end screen would say 45% but in actuality the health and damage of the enemies are at 65% levels). But now it seems this hidden difficulty is now a blanket application meaning they just made everything harder. 45% is now at the levels of 60%, but you don't get rewarded any more.

Will be lowerging my MMR so I can actually have fun and feel like an epic Raider and not get soloed my common soldier mooks on..."45%".

I come back after a short break to this.

EDIT: Please lower bacl to former values, this isn't any fun. I waste weekend time playing the game, would like to progress without feeling like I'm wasting time. No fun, please fix. Very angry, time is being wasted.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 12:01:53 AM by Level9Drow »

B30

• I stopped playing
    • View Profile
Re: Game Difficulty
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 12:56:56 AM
Yes, the level of difficulty has really increased, it is a bit frustrating at the moment, with all the mentor matches and quitters.  :(

MSE see also: https://www.spacelordsthegame.com/community/index.php?topic=3467.msg13666#msg13666

pululon

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 01:46:17 AM
The difficulty is crazy XD, I played matches at 39 that where a picnic, then another matches at 39 when the mobs where oneshooting me

PohtHehd

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 02:22:14 PM
It seems like there is a lapse in logic if you believe having a high MMR should mean you win every match. I do not think the majority of the people who complain about this situation understand what MMR is supposed to do and what it means having a high and low MMR.

Any game that uses a matching system will eventually match you to a match you will not win because as you increase your MMR you are telling the game you are better than X% of the people who are also playing. Just like MMRs work for every game, it is a measure of your skill in relation to other players.

In this case the "other player" is the AI and it seems logical that it should become increasingly challenging as you increase your MMR.

I mean, you can't get a score of 10 at any MMR as far as I know. And even at ~30% MMR you will get a 9.2-9.3 with a perfect score(even less than perfect). You should logically infer that the game was balanced for ~30% or whatever the lowest MMR is that you can also achieve a 9.2-9.3 with a near perfect performance.

Then you can draw the conclusion that having ~20% OVER the difficulty the game was designed with then you are attempting an extra challenge for largely your own personal gratification. There are very very minuscule rewards for getting your MMR high and the reason for this is super duper obvious. It is stupid easy to get a high MMR.

MMR is for the challenge, if that is your thing. It does not seem to be anybodies thing, however. Well, you're in luck as it is stupid easy to lower your MMR.

The idea that the game isn't being balanced correctly comes from this misunderstanding about the nature of the MMR system. Many people fail to realize that just because the game lacks a sophisticated PVP ranking system doesn't mean the rules have changed at all regarding the way matching is set up. You will eventually, like every other game, get a match you can't win. Just because it is against the AI shouldn't matter either way.

Unfortunately, no one will see it this way. They will relentlessly slam their head against the MMR wall wondering how they, who are so very good at the game, could possibly lose. Then come here and strongly imply the game is too difficult without admitting it is their own lack of skill preventing them from claiming the victory they feel they are owed.

Tekato

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 02:58:26 PM
It seems like there is a lapse in logic if you believe having a high MMR should mean you win every match. I do not think the majority of the people who complain about this situation understand what MMR is supposed to do and what it means having a high and low MMR.

Any game that uses a matching system will eventually match you to a match you will not win because as you increase your MMR you are telling the game you are better than X% of the people who are also playing. Just like MMRs work for every game, it is a measure of your skill in relation to other players.

In this case the "other player" is the AI and it seems logical that it should become increasingly challenging as you increase your MMR.

I mean, you can't get a score of 10 at any MMR as far as I know. And even at ~30% MMR you will get a 9.2-9.3 with a perfect score(even less than perfect). You should logically infer that the game was balanced for ~30% or whatever the lowest MMR is that you can also achieve a 9.2-9.3 with a near perfect performance.

Then you can draw the conclusion that having ~20% OVER the difficulty the game was designed with then you are attempting an extra challenge for largely your own personal gratification. There are very very minuscule rewards for getting your MMR high and the reason for this is super duper obvious. It is stupid easy to get a high MMR.

MMR is for the challenge, if that is your thing. It does not seem to be anybodies thing, however. Well, you're in luck as it is stupid easy to lower your MMR.

The idea that the game isn't being balanced correctly comes from this misunderstanding about the nature of the MMR system. Many people fail to realize that just because the game lacks a sophisticated PVP ranking system doesn't mean the rules have changed at all regarding the way matching is set up. You will eventually, like every other game, get a match you can't win. Just because it is against the AI shouldn't matter either way.

Unfortunately, no one will see it this way. They will relentlessly slam their head against the MMR wall wondering how they, who are so very good at the game, could possibly lose. Then come here and strongly imply the game is too difficult without admitting it is their own lack of skill preventing them from claiming the victory they feel they are owed.
The problem is the game is being balanced towards pvp as well. So guns eventually don't deal enough damage to take care of the enemy hordes and your hp doesn't scale up either while enemies damage/health just keeps going higher. Eventually at around 60%+ mmr it becomes too much for raiders to handle. They need to remove the mmr system and just add difficulty modes that are properly balanced for the current raiders strenghts.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 03:01:47 PM by Tekato »

Velgeder

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 03:11:57 PM

The problem is the game is being balanced towards pvp as well. So guns eventually don't deal enough damage to take care of the enemy hordes and your hp doesn't scale up either while enemies damage/health just keeps going higher. Eventually at around 60%+ mmr it becomes too much for raiders to handle. They need to remove the mmr system and just add difficulty modes that are properly balanced for the current raiders strenghts.

Right now the enemies are bullet sponges with the exception of the few guns out there. You're better off Meleeing, even then the enemy has a higher chance of countering. The raiders are squishy including fith council.

PohtHehd

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 03:38:42 PM
Yes. Hm. Like I said; higher MMRs should be more challenging. In fact, you should be losing more than winning at such a high MMR because at 60% there is likely very few other people at that level. Your queue times must be ridiculous. And to what end?

Having a high MMR is foolish. It greatly detracts from the ability to generate gold/exp/faction.

The lapse in logic I am referring to happens in this moment. Having almost double the difficulty the game was balanced for is definitely a choice you have to make. Just like you could choose to lower your MMR and not ever hassle with super strong grunts and lose nothing in the process. Because it is a choice you are actively making then is it not something you truly desire?

But you don't, obviously, want to lower your MMR. Many people stoically believe a higher MMR does anything, in any game, to make you directly superior to others and it almost never does.

I keep my MMR low, way low, and I still run into antagonists with a skill level of 40-50%. Man, I'd love to see their face when they lose to lil' 25% me.

MMR means nothing other than the difficulty of the game.

When I found the game too challenging I realized I could manipulate the MMR very easily and have ever since not allowed it to go past 50% because I don't think I'm hot shit. I know I'm not the best and so when I lose at 45-50% MMRs to the AI I don't think; "Man, this game is fucking broken!" I think; "Oh, I can just lower my MMR and I will be back to an appropriate difficulty."

But, a lot of people believe they are hot shit and know they are the best so it will never settle with them that there is a challenge they cannot overcome. Even though the challenge was designed specifically to not be overcome. It is a problem with ego and being human in general.

B30

• I stopped playing
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 04:21:26 PM
It's not about high or low MMR, we just stated that the difficulty of the game went up since the last patch. A game with a MMR at about 45 to 50% was quite enjoyable, but not anymore.

I think everyone knows that a high MMR only causes headaches and has no advantage or benefit (on the reward screen) and keeping it low is a lot more nerve sparing (e.g. playing against a low MMR antag).

Eliakin

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 04:36:03 PM
MMR has always been bad since it was deployed in the game, but even creating a topic saying that this has to change, the developer persisted in the error, just look at the numbers of players and see that continuing this way will only make the game go broke.

I'm telling you this because you have topicals from last year, complaining about it and still continue the same way and got worse.

Ac3_f4ce

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 04:43:37 PM
Damn Pohthedd you play at 50% MMR? Christ. I can barely play at 40% the Ai at 40% is already lethal. I can't imagine 50%. And if an Antag is on the board,  I spam that surrender button.  Lol

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 08:17:47 PM
Yes. Hm. Like I said; higher MMRs should be more challenging. In fact, you should be losing more than winning at such a high MMR because at 60% there is likely very few other people at that level. Your queue times must be ridiculous. And to what end?

Having a high MMR is foolish. It greatly detracts from the ability to generate gold/exp/faction.

The lapse in logic I am referring to happens in this moment. Having almost double the difficulty the game was balanced for is definitely a choice you have to make. Just like you could choose to lower your MMR and not ever hassle with super strong grunts and lose nothing in the process. Because it is a choice you are actively making then is it not something you truly desire?

But you don't, obviously, want to lower your MMR. Many people stoically believe a higher MMR does anything, in any game, to make you directly superior to others and it almost never does.

I keep my MMR low, way low, and I still run into antagonists with a skill level of 40-50%. Man, I'd love to see their face when they lose to lil' 25% me.

MMR means nothing other than the difficulty of the game.

When I found the game too challenging I realized I could manipulate the MMR very easily and have ever since not allowed it to go past 50% because I don't think I'm hot shit. I know I'm not the best and so when I lose at 45-50% MMRs to the AI I don't think; "Man, this game is fucking broken!" I think; "Oh, I can just lower my MMR and I will be back to an appropriate difficulty."

But, a lot of people believe they are hot shit and know they are the best so it will never settle with them that there is a challenge they cannot overcome. Even though the challenge was designed specifically to not be overcome. It is a problem with ego and being human in general.

i don't think you're understanding. No one is saying "they're hot shit" and should have high MMR. They're saying that they ninja buffed the difficulty without telling anyone. so everyone got used to the average being about 40%. This seems to be the median skill level of most players. But it now seems that this value has been altered to now represent a higher difficulty. This is irritating, as now I have to lower my MMR to 30% to progress efficiently in the game.

The question is why? Why did they alter the values. Sure, it doesn't matter in the long run, we can all just lower out MMR. But why do they keep "squeezing the turnip", so to speak? As soon as they realize you finally got some wriggle room they constrict even tighter.

Here's the thing: This is a video game, as in electronic entertainment... key word "Entertainment", NOT however a Job, which is NOT considered entertainment by the wider population, otherwise they wouldn't have to PAY you for it. However, they DON'T pay me to play video-games, in fact, we have to pay companies to play them. Gamers kind of lost touch with the whole concept in the newer generations, it's quite comical. Gamers now are paying companies to, essentially, work. LOL. Well I'm middle age and can see right through the gating mechanics. I want to be entertained and progress. challenge is fun only if it isn't at the expense of progression. Once it costs progression then it is antithetical to entertainment and more of a job and if this is the case we shouldn't pay for it and should instead be given a wage for work that is not entertaining.  This is a hyperbolic statement to accentuate a point though.

Solution! Let us choose the difficulty, naturally, like EVERY other game that is about entertainment over work. Give rewards based on the difficulty of course, but leave it in the hands of the player to determine their own pace and tolerance. don't make a stupid system to dictate this for us. The "system" doesn't know about enjoyment or entertainment, it's a stupid program devoid of the idea of customer satisfaction.

The problem is I have to go out of my way to lower my MMR because there is no option to just choose a lower difficulty. Why not? We're just going to do it anyways because higher MMR is a liability to progression. Just stop wasting time and give us a difficulty option. Why are we beating aroung the bush with this? I'll tell you why. Gating. Simply this. And it sucks. and it's no fun.

Jenetikz

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 02:19:44 AM
I knew something was odd when I was playing with Alicia 2 hits and she was done

Tekato

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 07:07:46 AM

You survived more than 1 hit on a wardog? Now that is impressive.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 06:03:44 PM

didn't used to be that way with the wardogs. 100 health meant something. But not any more.

Hiero_Glyph

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 06:17:45 PM

didn't used to be that way with the wardogs. 100 health meant something. But not any more.

Yeah, when Spacelords went F2P I remember only having regen cards on Alicia and it let me fight for a while and then retreat to recover in a few seconds before jumping back in. Now recovery doesn't matter because you get downed almost instantly, especially from anything explosive. They definitely changed how the difficulty works, and not for the better.