Author Topic: Antag vs High level players  (Read 9421 times)

Power Penguin

• View Profile
Re: Antag vs High level players
Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 11:33:02 PM
I think that forcing people to play solo is a bit too restrictive If the game had a better tutorial level things would be a lot better for a lot of people. And maybe have like a grace period where for like the first 3 online games you can't get invaded by Antag. You know so that people can get a better grasp of what they are doing.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 11:46:36 PM
I think that forcing people to play solo is a bit too restrictive If the game had a better tutorial level things would be a lot better for a lot of people. And maybe have like a grace period where for like the first 3 online games you can't get invaded by Antag. You know so that people can get a better grasp of what they are doing.

That would be good to. But you know what would solve this in any case? I know, you are all going to roll your eyes at Drow, "Here he goes again, the horse is bone and ash at this point, Drow." , but separate PvP and PvE, at least passively. The elites are a good intro to CQC and the PvE matches are pretty good to do for a while in order to understand things. Make new players aware they can earn more by allowing invasion and can opt in to PvP priority. And if they get stomped too hard because they're not quite sure of the mechanics they can opt back out until they feel confident enough in what they have learned.

Shoggoth_Poot

• Eat it Raw!
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 12:09:50 AM
"Here he goes again..."

Yeah. I think finding a way to make PvP an option and not a requirement would do a lot for the health and longevity of this game.

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 01:17:21 AM
I think that forcing people to play solo is a bit too restrictive
But--
If the game had a better tutorial level
Tutorial is solo

So restricting play to solo until the level is cleared....bad... but the required solo tutorial level... good?

TheBrentWoody

• View Profile
Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 01:32:52 AM
Yeah...The answer to this is use the big burst damage characters with big health pools.  I deal about 80 damage a punch against a lvl 0.  This goes down each time they level.  Thats 2 shots against everyone except for aliens.  If I'm using a melee card that changes more, but melee cards are most effective at lower mmrs (because it requires less hits to kill a mook, and you have a gun for that in high mmr.)  So...Your only recourse is to not get hit until after you kill someone or be able to survive some bullets until you get that kill.

There are very few characters that are good at this.  Harec, Doldren, and Ginebra can evaporate people easily.  Lycus can do it on a crit.  Loaht can do it with his ult.  Alicia melts people and can avoid melee range.  Hans can fly in and fly out whilst picking on squishier targets.  Mikah can clone ou tto safety.  Shae can put people down, but has a harder time finishing them unless you can get off that second shot and them not get out of range.  (Her first gun will straight murder people, but requires a LONG charge time)  Kuzzman can do AOE damage, and if they're all rushing you the Lightbogen makes there allies need to keep a distance or get shot down.  Konstantin can keep everyonen at a distance or bubble people off ledges if you have the dps to just kill them.  HIVE can take punishment alll day if someone close up is infected.  Ayana can use that tether to make good situations better or impossible situations doable.  Iune can take advantage of ai very well, and cc guns to keep people where you wantn them.

Soo...I don't think there is necessarily a wrong choice, you just gotta know what to do and when to do it.  Which takes time.  and that isn't waht level 0's have. 

Power Penguin

• View Profile
Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 02:11:12 AM
I think that forcing people to play solo is a bit too restrictive
But--
If the game had a better tutorial level
Tutorial is solo

So restricting play to solo until the level is cleared....bad... but the required solo tutorial level... good?

Yes because a tutorial is actually meant to teach a player and stumbling around a level not knowing what to do is ineffective and time consuming.

Also pre-calculus isn't that hard.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 02:18:30 AM by Power Penguin »

Black_Adder_

• View Profile
Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 04:31:12 PM
Have any of "struggling new players" looked at the game manual or whatever it's called? It has every core element of game described in few short sentences and with pictures. I rememeber I read it after my first game and it helped me greatly - every question I had was answered in there. They even have made a youtube video for new players now that's available at game menu.
I'm quite sure that most of new players doesn't even bother about crap like that - it's easier to just whine to someone rather than read a short and simple game manual.

Shoggoth_Poot

• Eat it Raw!
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 06:46:44 PM
Well, a lot of peepes would argue the devz were too lazy to make a decent tutorial. I, for one, also read the manual for clarification about CQC. I did not mind. However, seeing as how the game is seriously trying to increase its player base, they really need to make picking the game up a much friendlier process. If they download the game, play the "tutorial" as it is, and then get stomped like a bitch by an Antagonist in Hanging By a Thread, there's a good possibility that they will delete and move on to play something else. Should the game hold your hand for the first couple of missions? Some people don't need it. Some people do. The people that don't need it will play the game no problem. The people that do need it will probably move on, and we need people to stick around. Unless they want to rename the game Raiders of the Dark Souls, so players know what they're getting into, they should probably throw as much love at making those first couple of hours an assuredly kick-ass experience for anyone who picks it up. No PvP. Better tutorial. Keep players. Get their money. Game's gotta be financed somehow.