Author Topic: Why do Raiders have the Antagonist respawn timer ?  (Read 2517 times)

Power Penguin

• View Profile
Why do Raiders have the Antagonist respawn timer ?
on: November 18, 2017, 06:38:58 AM
This is a serious question. Why do they have this information. One of the strongest things about the antagonist should be the element of surprise. Especially since the AI health and spawn rates are terrible in antag mode.

The Wanderlust

• XBox - The Wanderlust
    • View Profile
Re: Why do Raiders have the Antagonist respawn timer ?
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 02:32:10 PM
I would think that it helps to add a level of communication between Raiders without Voice Chat so they can coordinate moving on the objective. Thankfully the Antagonist can select both Where and When to respawn so there is still a level of unpredictability and strategy involved.

Power Penguin

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 06:24:55 PM
But the respawn locations are almost always infront of the Raiders and pretty limiting the way they are now. I don't know man I think the fact that you're stress meter makes you visible through walls should be enough since antags have pretty easy silhouettes to spot and the sniper antags should have the benefit of spawning undetected since they are so squishy.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:08:38 PM by Power Penguin »

BloodNekoKiux

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 09:13:46 PM
This comes for someone that loves, and plays, a lot of the antagonist...I have a problem. O_o 
I don’t think that the antagonist respawn timer is not an issue by itself; however, the global audio cue when the antagonist respawns is. With the way it works right now when the antagonist respawns (not when the timer depletes but WHEN the antagonist decides to respawn) there is an audio cue that lets the Raiders know when the Antagonist respawns, this is far worse in my opinion. I feel that the raiders should be rewarded for killing the antagonist in knowing how much free time they have for completing the objective before the antagonist is ALLOWED to respawn; as such, the antagonist should be rewarded for killing the raiders in knowing when the raiders are FORCED to respawn. The global audio cue removes that “element of surprise factor” you were talking about. The antagonist has three strengths to them when respawning, deciding where they want to respawn, deciding when they want to respawn after their timer depletes, and that most of the respawn points are on or near NPC spawn areas. The global audio cue heavily cripples these strengths, cause the moment you hear it you just look at the spawn points and see where they are; and besides, if you remove the timer all you have to do is mental count when they will respawn, like with quake which is easy, and will not fix the “not having the element of surprise factor” problem.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:15:19 PM by BloodNekoKiux »

Power Penguin

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 10:19:55 PM
I get what you are saying but I would argue that having a timer as to when an antag is  going to spawn is very strong because the audio cue could be drowned out (or you are just not paying attention to it) while the timer you just have to look at at your screen and prepare yourself for the antag (it's  just easier). Also counting down the antag spawn times in your head while you are trying to do objectives is too much for me.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:22:33 PM by Power Penguin »