Author Topic: Difficulty curb too high  (Read 2093 times)

reaperofsorrows7

• View Profile
Difficulty curb too high
on: May 07, 2018, 09:07:09 PM
Just finished an 59% MMR match and all i can say is that it is too difficult. All the mobs are boss level bullet sponges and if they hit you once you are dead. Add on the fact of relentless, overwhelming spawns and you have an impassible meat wall of enemies.
I understand making a game more challenging, but a pure boost to health, damage , and spawn just makes the game unbearable at higher levels. No matter how much you kill and survive you just cant cut through these hoards. I say make them smarter not just all around boss level mobs.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Re: Difficulty curb too high
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 10:00:19 PM
You have to throw games a few times when the game starts getting too hard. Unfortunately the difficulty level of the game is automated, but it changes based on your success and failure rate. The more you succeed the harder it will adjust the enemy AI, the more you fail missions the easier it will adjust the enemy AI.

Other factors can modify this further, like the MMR of the other 3 players you are in a group with and the level disparity between you and the antagonist, should you get an antagonist. But generally speaking it will adjust.

Don't be afraid to throw games when it gets too hard, even top high level highly skilled players have admitted on these forums that even THEY get to the point where the enemy AI is ridiculous and extremely unfun and IMPOSSIBLE and they are forced to throw 2 or 3 games (I would say at least), to get back to a more acceptable challenging difficulty, one that is more possible to complete.

Unfortunately this is a grinding mechanism to gate progress because if we are too successful in our games then we may be gaining rewards "too fast". Now this most likely has nothing to do with the Developers, like the game director, animators, etc... and probably more to to with the publisher, marketing department. This is very common in gaming business where a bunch of executive suits who have no idea what good gaming is makes horrible greedy discussions for a game and the developers can't do anything about it. Prime example was Evolve. Turtlerock was an amazingly creative development team and made an extremely beautiful and original game, but 2K games completely ruined it with greed.

There has been a lot of cultural pushback more and more from the gaming culture in general towards this kind of dishonest "gating" mechanism, especially in conjunction with micro-transactions (certain coountries, like Belgium, and more are even criminalizing it).

So we can just speak our mind here and let them know. Hopefully the developers will let the "suits" know in their ivory towers and it will pressure a change. Again, I don't blame the developers at all, they are what make this game great.

reaperofsorrows7

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 10:18:31 PM
I get it.  As long as they understand the insane difficultly curb. My team was very competent  and each person pulled their weight, its just that the damage was rather ridiculous and it takes a lot to kill anything.

Honestly if the spawn rate was dialed back as compensation then this would be more bearable. Lots of mobs with low stats or a few with high stats sounds pretty fair.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 10:22:12 PM
I get it.  As long as they understand the insane difficultly curb. My team was very competent  and each person pulled their weight, its just that the damage was rather ridiculous and it takes a lot to kill anything.

Honestly if the spawn rate was dialed back as compensation then this would be more bearable. Lots of mobs with low stats or a few with high stats sounds pretty fair.

You are preaching to the chore, brother. I have been there many times and have lamented very vocally about this here on these forums. It's now called, I'm heard, being a "Drow" from a certain 3rd level Dragon Lord I have actually grown very fond of over the last year. But even he agrees, or so I understand.