Author Topic: Here's why I still don't buy/play this game  (Read 9167 times)

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Re: Here's why I still don't buy/play this game
Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 08:01:28 PM
I disagree with turning off the Antag option. It is the soul of this game, without it, how is it any different than any other game? I used to dread playing against an antag, but over time, you learn CQC, you get in rhythm with a character and you "git gud." I wish I could get an Antag EVERY TIME I PLAY! It changes up the grind and you get better rewards. Do I lose? Hell yeah! I get my ass kicked on both sides. You beat me, GG. I will queue up and if we meet again, I will try a different strategy ;-).

To the DEVs, great work! I know you read these comments and work to make the game better. I would suggest you add the ability to INCREASE your chances to attract an Antag! Maybe that would pull the Antags into my game and relieve some of the pressure that other players are getting.

I agree, they made a fantastic game here no matter what. I want to state to everyone that I will continue playing the game even if NOTHING is done about the antag situation, I will just hate that part of the game, so long as I can still get games with no antags more frequently. This game has, to me at least, WAY more positives than negatives.

I think You're suggestion, BeerTheBrad, is actually the best I've heard to resolve the issue without splitting the community. Essentially a system that allows those players who PREFER PvP to opt to have prioritization to get invaded, and therefore making it less likely for those people not interested in PvP to be invaded. This wouldn't slow Match Making for both Raiders or Antagonists nor would it split the community.

Great Idea! I'll sign on to that, please.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:29:37 PM by Level9Drow »

TheBrentWoody

• View Profile
Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 09:11:05 PM
I don't think PvPers are there to RUIN your experience.  I love PvP, it's challenging.  It's unpredictable.  Someone can do something I didn't know how to do, and I can learn from seeing them do that.  I'm sure some people do want to make someone very pissed.  It's a good strategy.  Piss someone off so they forget their objective. 

But Antags are there for the same reason you all are.  TO WIN THE MAP.  The Objective is all important.  The problem with the view of "IT IS PERSONAL!" is just you projecting the anger of getting killed.  You don't know what they're there for.  When I antag, it's exclusively for the affinity or blueprints.  And I can lose and get both.  You're there for xp and blueprints. You can lose and get both.  There is really no interruption for either of us.  You just feel bad because you lost.  (On either side.)  Losing happens.  If you didn't lose then whats the point of playing anymore?  Your xp per minute was retarded slightly (MAYBE). That is all. 

The biggest strength of the antag is that it makes 83% of the player base forget what map they're playing and just try to kill them.  Objective wins maps.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 10:05:11 PM
I don't think PvPers are there to RUIN your experience.  I love PvP, it's challenging.  It's unpredictable.  Someone can do something I didn't know how to do, and I can learn from seeing them do that.  I'm sure some people do want to make someone very pissed.  It's a good strategy.  Piss someone off so they forget their objective. 

But Antags are there for the same reason you all are.  TO WIN THE MAP.  The Objective is all important.  The problem with the view of "IT IS PERSONAL!" is just you projecting the anger of getting killed.  You don't know what they're there for.  When I antag, it's exclusively for the affinity or blueprints.  And I can lose and get both.  You're there for xp and blueprints. You can lose and get both.  There is really no interruption for either of us.  You just feel bad because you lost.  (On either side.)  Losing happens.  If you didn't lose then whats the point of playing anymore?  Your xp per minute was retarded slightly (MAYBE). That is all. 

The biggest strength of the antag is that it makes 83% of the player base forget what map they're playing and just try to kill them.  Objective wins maps.

i'm not saying it's a problem for everyone, just for some. PvEers, in particular. The issue is a philosophical one, gaming development philosophy. There isn't anything wrong with PvP in a purely PvP game, it's when you mix the two gamer types that issues, have historically, always occurred. When you make a game both PvP and PvE you are going to get angry people, it's inevitable. You are drawing two opposing type of demographics. Many games have done this and we can see how some do is correctly and others incorrectly.

As far as taking it personal. It's going to happen, because the design has pitted you against me. It is your job to ruin my fun, whether you are there for that reason or not, that paradigm is built into the design. I'll admit, Woody, that if it doesn't occur too often I can TOLERATE this system, it can be endured. But if the game turns for, what I would consider the worst, and we see more and more antagonists then I will not be able to have any more fun playing the game. And it's also questionable what the good thing about having to "tolerate" or "endure" something unpleasant in a medium created for entertainment and enjoyment. But it is what it is.

As far as being there for the same reason, I half believe that's what most antagonists are there for. If it was just rewards and theyhad no interest in ruining others fun then they would be there with us. I admit that it may be a deisng flaw to lock certain upgrades behind the "Aequilibrium" and so some, like me, may be forced to be there.

But that's the nature of the game, is it not? So we can just think of ideas to better it for both PvPers and PvEers, because, unfortunately, they made a game that caters to both...kind of not the most sound thing to do if you can't provide options for PvEers do opt out of invasions.

What you suggested before was an excellent idea; purchasing antag experience with gold or some other form of currency. this would cut down the amount of antags who don't want to be there in the first place, like me. And of course what BeerTheBrad said was a fantastic solution as well, allowing those who are interested in the additional rewards from fighting an antag can opt to have priority to become "invaded" over Raiders who have not chosen the option. These two great suggestions would be great for all parties involved. The only downside I think that the more "trollish" antags might complain about is that the raiders requesting the prioritization are bound to be badasses. This would also bode ill for new antags, but if your solution was also in effect as well this wouldn't be a problem at all.

BeertheBrad

• View Profile
Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 11:04:03 PM

Sorry couldn't resist.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 11:15:12 PM

Sorry couldn't resist.

No, BeerTheBrad, YOU are the badass. With that suggestion of yours. If the devs implement your idea, I will buy you a beer.

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 01:53:06 AM
This post got a bit tl;dr, but yeah I'm in agreeance that the idea of "it's personal, they other player is a sick twisted mind who is just there to troll and give you a bad time" needs to go, dude. I antagonist my friends all the time and they are some of the most fun matches. I played Low Blow last night and ran their timer out at the last possible second, if I had died one more time I'd have lost and they would have extracted. It's fun to be challenged by players, it's NOT fun to be challenged by OP AI with just higher damage weapons and health that just gets stronger than any human player could ever be.