Author Topic: Idea: No Antagonist On The Prologue  (Read 14224 times)

Geisty

• View Profile
Idea: No Antagonist On The Prologue
on: October 20, 2017, 06:34:19 PM
This happens quite often and I'm certain that some Antagonists even take exploit it, like they should.
(This is on Xbox One)

The other day I queued up as Antag and got put into a match on the Prologue. Looking at the enemy team, the entire team had the baby pacifier symbol (Meatbag rank). I began to get giddy, even laughed maniacally as the game loaded up because I knew these were fresh players and I was about to annihilate them. In under a minute as Kuzmann, I team wiped them, and in the end, they were trapped in spawn and Lycus was killed. After the match, one of the players informed me that he would be uninstalling because the game was broken.

Now, this happens a lot as Antag. 9/10, myself and my friends are thrown into the Prologue just to farm completely new players for Antag rank. I always stop around Rank 15 or so because it gets boring.
The biggest dilemma with this though:

Is allowing people to play Antag on The Prologue discouraging new players? Certainly it would seem so. I've had new players disconnect after a few minutes of play, and when I check on their status, they have moved on to another game.

I'm bringing awareness to this because I'm tired of sitting in a 20-30 minute queue for a match (because I don't want to play the Prologue for the 7 billionth time, I'm tryna farm blueprints >.>) when I could be playing something else.

Vladpw123

• View Profile
Re: Idea: No Antagonist On The Prologue
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 08:46:11 PM
This is bigest problem with antogonis becouse its op and up in the same time. Couze i just played a prologue mission withount antogonis but wit 3 fresh meats. And i lost. And during all of this i was thinling.
It will be so much easier with antogonis couze you know with antogonist bots become dumb as hell.

gearedbeast

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 09:42:34 PM
I agree with the op.  Even though I look forward to some easy points I can't help but feel guilty cause I know I probably scarred off a new player or two from ever playing the Game again

Geisty

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 06:49:48 AM
I agree with the op.  Even though I look forward to some easy points I can't help but feel guilty cause I know I probably scarred off a new player or two from ever playing the Game again

Tbh, I'm kind of terrible and don't feel guilty per say, I'm just practical and recognize that by wrecking new players, I am directly destroying my own chances of being able to load up a match. Currently sitting in a queue and have been for like... 14 minutes. 🙄

The Wanderlust

• XBox - The Wanderlust
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 03:08:13 PM
It’s important for new players to get the full understanding of the game, and by skipping Antagonists they’d be totally blindsided by that segment of gameplay if they did purchase.

Cobra_Laser_Face

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 03:33:08 PM
Tried to play it last night. Was in queue for 10 minutes before logging off and jumping into Warframe...

The Antagonist SYSTEM WILL KILL THIS GAME, if IT IS NOT ADDRESSED SOON, and FIXED ASAP. What was described above, happens ALOT, I imagine.

New Players: "Oh cool. This game looks awesome!" *loads in, gets ready, annnnd ANTAGONIST warning. Match Starts, and Antagonist begins annihilating the New players. After a few minutes, New players disconnect from the match, uninstall, and go to the steam forums and detail what happened. Potential players, i.e. NEW CUSTOMERS, are put off by this kind of gameplay, and AVOIDS THE GAME AT ALL COSTS.

Game is dead within a MONTH of release.

gearedbeast

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 04:13:29 PM
Or maybe they could make tutorial video in game that you must watch the firsrt time you play.  Or put big icon the direction of the tutorial they already have at least explaining antagonists

IvaN_KhaN

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 07:34:33 PM
Sois unos mancos lloricas aprended a coordinaros!! un antagonista contra un equipo minimamente coordinado no tiene nada que hacer. Si esos nuevos jugadores buscaban un juego casual y fácilon se equivocaron, Raiders es duro y no regala nada por eso mola tanto. Aunque coincido en que el modo antagonista necesita un ajuste pero para justo lo contrario, darle algo más de ventaja al antagonista.

Geisty

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 09:00:18 PM
It’s important for new players to get the full understanding of the game, and by skipping Antagonists they’d be totally blindsided by that segment of gameplay if they did purchase.

See, this comes back to a fundamental quality of the game that I've mentioned before in that it needs an in depth tutorial. No one would be surprised, no one would be turned off. Or even, I know some games have grace periods, like you have to be of a certain rank before being matched against real people.

Cigarpunk

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 09:32:48 PM
Sois unos mancos lloricas aprended a coordinaros!! un antagonista contra un equipo minimamente coordinado no tiene nada que hacer. Si esos nuevos jugadores buscaban un juego casual y fácilon se equivocaron, Raiders es duro y no regala nada por eso mola tanto. Aunque coincido en que el modo antagonista necesita un ajuste pero para justo lo contrario, darle algo más de ventaja al antagonista.
Exacto. O al menos algo de recompensa al Antagonista cuando pierde.

Vladpw123

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 09:53:43 AM
In up argument. There was one time where i win match wit antogonis with 2 players logof in the begining. There was only me KUzman and other guy Kinstantin and we punish antogonist. Licus and i must say that antogonist wasnt a noob he was pretty decent it just if you have a team that know what to do and stay together it will be harder for antogonist to win.

Sephirothadell

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 10:12:42 AM
I think that this guy is crying more in this, I am antagonist (if it is used when I get the mission of the prologue) but also I have kicked the ass people who collaborate cares and supports too much not to be hunted by me ) so think it is a cooperative game is not so that you are looking for the mvp that more kill or make more goals. Everyone goes to victory so cover the backs of another Raider.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:16:55 AM by Sephirothadell »

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 12:27:05 PM
You're definitely going to rail new players on the Prologue (I have on nearly all my runs) if you're playing as 'any' character that puts them in a disposition. What do I mean? To start, I mean a character they cannot try so they lack understanding of that character's mechanics. Even on characters they can choose most new players wont realize how abilities work. In fact, it's not uncommon to see them not use their abilities at all. So 'you' roll in there with a often 'full' understanding of what kind of damage you can do and they just feel overwhelmed.

On the flip side, I've won a match (A Fistful of Sand) against an Antagonist with two drop outs. That means, we were just two people against an Antagonist and all the NPCs and that sucks but we did it because we ended up working really well together. I also passed the Prologue in a similar situation where it was just me and one other person left and we both played snipers lol. So you might say that people just not being brave enough to stick it out is part of the problem but that turns into a huge argument of time versus reward.

Really what is more damning than damning the game itself is how unwilling people seem to be to work together. Even the most ragtag group working together will do better than four hotshots thinking they're going to steamroll everything with their l33tn3ss. I mean even if you strip away the Antagonist the game can still the jack the difficulty up (higher ranks have likely seen this) and rail you pretty hard so working together is always going to be the key factor.

omeganx

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 02:56:54 AM
This can also be worked out with voice chat to enable strategies.  Also level limits would normally be put in place buuut

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 07:34:25 PM
You're definitely going to rail new players on the Prologue (I have on nearly all my runs) if you're playing as 'any' character that puts them in a disposition. What do I mean? To start, I mean a character they cannot try so they lack understanding of that character's mechanics. Even on characters they can choose most new players wont realize how abilities work. In fact, it's not uncommon to see them not use their abilities at all. So 'you' roll in there with a often 'full' understanding of what kind of damage you can do and they just feel overwhelmed.

On the flip side, I've won a match (A Fistful of Sand) against an Antagonist with two drop outs. That means, we were just two people against an Antagonist and all the NPCs and that sucks but we did it because we ended up working really well together. I also passed the Prologue in a similar situation where it was just me and one other person left and we both played snipers lol. So you might say that people just not being brave enough to stick it out is part of the problem but that turns into a huge argument of time versus reward.

Really what is more damning than damning the game itself is how unwilling people seem to be to work together. Even the most ragtag group working together will do better than four hotshots thinking they're going to steamroll everything with their l33tn3ss. I mean even if you strip away the Antagonist the game can still the jack the difficulty up (higher ranks have likely seen this) and rail you pretty hard so working together is always going to be the key factor.

You are mistaken, the players don't "owe" anything to the game, they are first and foremost customers (or potential customers) and consumers. If they come into the game and get steam rolled by an antag they don't owe it to the game or anyone else to say, "I should shake this off and try harder." This is a first impression, they have the right to merely impassively log out and say, "This game sucks." and simply uninstall and go to another game. They don't care about "hard core" they don't care about "l33t" they care about their time and money and how it's spent, and if they get rolled by an antag they have and will simply leave, with nothing owed to the antag or developers.

For these reasons I agree with the OP, they need to keep antag out of prologue or certain levels of players. This is a video game, people, not a Darwanistic experiment. First impressions should be fun and interesting. Whether you agree with this philosophy or not, what if fact is that new players who experience this will leave and this will hurt the game that we love.