Author Topic: Multiplayer Difficulty  (Read 4338 times)

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Multiplayer Difficulty
on: January 22, 2018, 04:24:23 AM
When I came into this game it was really fun. I hated having to fight Antagonists, but I got enough games without them to have something to look forward to.

That is, until the AI minions and elites got more tougher. So apparently we have ELOS that affect the AI PvE experience, I have to say, this sucks. Especially since it's mandatory and not chosen. I don't feel like a heroic raider when I get one shotted by a minion with a shot gun and staggered to the point where I can't even fire my weapon back. This has made me less likely to keep playing. I can see players throwing games to lower their ELO so they can have fun again. The game is currently too hard to play for me now. This gives me less incentive to continue as I have nothing fun to look forward to.

You should really consider making the difficulty an option to be chosen.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Re: Multiplayer Difficulty
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 01:35:29 AM
I'd also like to add that this came is really fun, mechanically and aesthetically. The Raiders are all really awesome looking, the art work, the story premise and the style. The multi-player co-op drew me to this game as well. so I think it a bit of a shame losing the desire to play because the AI essentially zerg sward and ALL of them can 1 or 2 shot you, not counting the elites.

That being said I wanted to ask my question before but with more clarity. A) Can your ELO go down? B) If you ELO can go down, dues the AI difficulty as well? C) How does the ELO work with multiple players of different skill levels? D) Do you think this would encourage people to throw games when it becomes too hard? I mean, the rewards are the same. Potential exploit aside, it may get to a point where it's too hard to be fun, and on those grounds alone one would be tempted to throw until the EO is low enough, assuming the AI gets easy again if your ELO goes down. And finally E) IF lowering your ELO doesn't make things easier, do you think this is a good idea? Is there a maximum on difficulty? What would prevent players from leaving due to difficulty? What options would a player have if the game is eventually too hard? Offlne isn't rewarding and you've expressed that it should be plaid online.

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 04:08:13 AM
The best counter to the difficulty getting harder is honestly just being prepared for it with a good team. Nothing is going to save you from the higher difficulties besides solid performance because you will get punished hard and fast for all your mistakes at higher difficulties. I might suggest practicing solo on Hard and Very Hard.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 07:12:56 PM
The best counter to the difficulty getting harder is honestly just being prepared for it with a good team. Nothing is going to save you from the higher difficulties besides solid performance because you will get punished hard and fast for all your mistakes at higher difficulties. I might suggest practicing solo on Hard and Very Hard.

Well, then we have a fun factor barrier. Unfortunately that is a design flaw. My question is, if you get your *** handed to you enough by the AI does the ELO change and does the AI get easier in response? At least then I know the game will notice it's being too rough when I lose over and over and compensate for it, unless they want to drive players away and then of course they don't need to have the AI change. It all just seems counter-intuitive to "fun". I'm hoping the developer responds with whether or not the ELO will effect the AI difficulty in both directions, if so, there really isn't a problem.

MSE_Meta

• MercurySteam Developer
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 08:22:08 PM

Well, then we have a fun factor barrier. Unfortunately that is a design flaw. My question is, if you get your *** handed to you enough by the AI does the ELO change and does the AI get easier in response? At least then I know the game will notice it's being too rough when I lose over and over and compensate for it, unless they want to drive players away and then of course they don't need to have the AI change. It all just seems counter-intuitive to "fun". I'm hoping the developer responds with whether or not the ELO will effect the AI difficulty in both directions, if so, there really isn't a problem.

In fact, the AI is affected by the ELO of the team and whether or not there's an antagonist. The key idea is to keep giving players a challenge as they progress.
This goes both ways: when you win or lose a match your ELO is affected accordingly, so the AI will be balanced for the next match.

The matchmaking system tries to match players with a similar ELO rating, but this isn't possible all of the times. When this happens, some of the players in the team will find the AI harder than usual and some will find it easier.

Playing in Solo (where you can select AI difficulty) is one way of learning the objectives of each mission and that gives you a chance to assist your team in either situation. When the AI feels harder, try to help the team with levers, buttons, signaling for help or group gathering, or simply being together. When the AI feels easier, try to carry the team through the mission and help the ones that are having a harder time.

Different characters (and their weapons!) can also help with the difficulty. Konstantin, for example, is a great tank with some crowd control when he uses his skill. Harec, on the other hand, is very squishy but deals high amounts of damage.

I hope this helps :)

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 09:27:41 PM

In fact, the AI is affected by the ELO of the team and whether or not there's an antagonist. The key idea is to keep giving players a challenge as they progress.
This goes both ways: when you win or lose a match your ELO is affected accordingly, so the AI will be balanced for the next match.

The matchmaking system tries to match players with a similar ELO rating, but this isn't possible all of the times. When this happens, some of the players in the team will find the AI harder than usual and some will find it easier.

Playing in Solo (where you can select AI difficulty) is one way of learning the objectives of each mission and that gives you a chance to assist your team in either situation. When the AI feels harder, try to help the team with levers, buttons, signaling for help or group gathering, or simply being together. When the AI feels easier, try to carry the team through the mission and help the ones that are having a harder time.

Different characters (and their weapons!) can also help with the difficulty. Konstantin, for example, is a great tank with some crowd control when he uses his skill. Harec, on the other hand, is very squishy but deals high amounts of damage.

I hope this helps :)

That's fantastic, you made my day. I'm not the best player mechanically so I can go back into the game and play it with more trust in the system, I thought it was a permanent wall. If I get my but kicked it will adjust. I can't tell you what a relief your response was. Thanks, and great game!!!! I'm glad I bought the complete game. :)