Author Topic: Targeting AI instead of Antag  (Read 2587 times)

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Targeting AI instead of Antag
on: February 09, 2018, 06:17:40 PM
Is there any way to get the system to prioritize an antagonist player over the AI around him? It's annoying when you got a clear shot on the antag, go to grab or strike and then grab, or worse, strike an AI only to have the antag capitalize on this. Seems unfair.

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Re: Targeting AI instead of Antag
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 01:33:40 PM
In general, that's a bad situation because you have two versus one. Of course, this is no different than an Antagonist trying to fight two players at once. You are still giving a directional input to distinguish between targets. This isn't anything that favors Antagonists because they suffer from the same problem of accidental targeting. If anything, it actually favors the AI. However, since the Antagonist in your scenario is typically going to be the larger threat it would be suggested to down them first. Keep in mind, they can and still will shoot you even when downed. Thus, your safest option would be to not CQC them at all and simple shoot them to death and then perhaps CQC the Elite. Perhaps, in the future we might get some sort of lock-on system that might help but that will likely present challenges of its own.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 12:58:00 AM
In general, that's a bad situation because you have two versus one. Of course, this is no different than an Antagonist trying to fight two players at once. You are still giving a directional input to distinguish between targets. This isn't anything that favors Antagonists because they suffer from the same problem of accidental targeting. If anything, it actually favors the AI. However, since the Antagonist in your scenario is typically going to be the larger threat it would be suggested to down them first. Keep in mind, they can and still will shoot you even when downed. Thus, your safest option would be to not CQC them at all and simple shoot them to death and then perhaps CQC the Elite. Perhaps, in the future we might get some sort of lock-on system that might help but that will likely present challenges of its own.

While I agree with you that this is a problem for both Antagonists and Raiders I disagree that it is more of a problem for the antag. If I am the antag and I target another raider than the one I was originally going for well than that's good all the same because it reduces the number of lives the Raiders have and reduces my total opponents by 1 from 4, which is 25% of my opposition. Not only that, but he's immune for a short time after and can chain grapple another raider, or two, I've seen it so many times. If, however, I am a raider and I aim for the antag and get a minion instead, well that's terrible. The antag just grabs me out of my grapple, because I am not immune like I would be if I grappled an elite or an antag, and the minion is less dangerous than an antag. So even if I managed to successfully kill the minion and the antag didn't kill me, for whatever reason, the net gain is less than the net gain for the same situation for the antag.

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 05:29:49 AM
It's a fair argument if all players were equal skill level but sadly they are not. I have accidentally grabbed the easier player on accident many times and got killed right after because vets know the timing perfectly. The invincibility time after an elite or player kill is actually shorter than it originally was and only with a card might you extend it. However, this also affects Elites and is why players can immediately kill a boosted Elite right after they killed another player. In other words, they broke the chain easily. In the past, what would happen is the invincibility gave them enough time to use their ability right away and they could easily wipe a whole team that way. Yes, it still happens but since it's been reduced you wont see chain kills as often as in the past. Again, without some sort of targeting system for melee I don't see this being fixed and no such thing has been mentioned so I wouldn't count on it. Rather, I would just be wary as you already seem to be and if it's not in your odds don't bother and wait for help while playing defensively.