Author Topic: Still Too Many Antags...  (Read 19680 times)

Deathprize

• View Profile
Re: Still Too Many Antags...
Reply #60 on: September 10, 2018, 06:14:02 PM
I mean as the system stands now it is broken.

You can as a new player start on Counsil apocalypse at level one and be invaded multiple times in a row by people way higher than you with better guns, especially when maxed out. That have higher passives which have been buffed up since Raiders. They only have four characters to choose from two of which struggle to hit the objectives on the mouse and the snake. Most likely they get paired with a higher levelled player in a mentor match which pushes the difficultly up.

This does not a good first impression make. Then when they finally get to play as an antagonist themselves it's really difficult and discouraging.

The antagonist can straight up block new players progress by stopping blueprint and level progression.

Then after that if you stick around you see half the wins and losses are dictated by the MMR system and whichever side is lowest as it's very rare than both sides are even.

Nearly every single one of these problems is removed by making it a separate mode.

As it stands currently the structure is turning away many potential customers. Which is a shame as underneath it all the game is really fun.

pululon

• View Profile
Reply #61 on: September 11, 2018, 11:11:04 AM
The problem is that some players can taste the game without an antag, love its mechanics, ideas, gameplay... and then throw away every bit of love after a few matches with an antag and the constant menace that that experience that they loved can be ruined in a second... and you don't want that, you want people playing and pumping money into the game, so, make antag mode optional.

Deathprize

• View Profile
Reply #62 on: September 11, 2018, 11:57:57 AM
Yeah that is a better summary than my long post above it.
I have seen it first hand with friends that like the game but instantly get turned away by the forced antagonist system. The games they went to play instead were either full PvE or you had the option to do both PvE and PvP.

I understand the antagonist system is this games unique selling point, but it turns many people away. More players gives a better chance of some of them being paying customers.

JestersShade

• View Profile
Reply #63 on: September 17, 2018, 10:31:03 AM
I've had it with antags: mentor matches with lvl 275 antags just ruins your game altogether...

I've put a bit of money in this game so far because it had some very nice ideas, gameplay, design, lore, ...

But since MercurySteam doesn't seem to care much, I won't put more money until we get an option to turn off antags when we just want to chill or just want our rewards (which can be difficult enough with the crappy way this game has to introduce itself to new players.)

And an option to turn off mentor matches will be next (cause 20% XP is far too low if you end up with 3 beginners and doesn't worth loosing your blueprint or gold!)

Clear and simple.

Your move MercurySteam.

LoganMaze

• View Profile
Reply #64 on: September 17, 2018, 09:52:41 PM
I've had it with antags: mentor matches with lvl 275 antags just ruins your game altogether...

I've put a bit of money in this game so far because it had some very nice ideas, gameplay, design, lore, ...

But since MercurySteam doesn't seem to care much, I won't put more money until we get an option to turn off antags when we just want to chill or just want our rewards (which can be difficult enough with the crappy way this game has to introduce itself to new players.)

And an option to turn off mentor matches will be next (cause 20% XP is far too low if you end up with 3 beginners and doesn't worth loosing your blueprint or gold!)

Clear and simple.

Your move MercurySteam.
just in case, when you accept a match it lets you know its a mentor match, not trying to be a smartass but hope it helps.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #65 on: September 17, 2018, 10:04:24 PM

Clear and simple.

Your move MercurySteam.
just in case, when you accept a match it lets you know its a mentor match, not trying to be a smartass but hope it helps.

Yep, I second this. And same, no sarcasm. If you see a match that start with a mentor bonus, DECLINE MISSION. Pure and simple. I used to want to help new players and thought 20% was a nice incentive to do so...not anymore. I decline now all the time. Faction points are SO hard to come by and are thrown away for nothing gained 90% of the time, I don't need new players messing that up because they're clueless (killing the elites on short fused with head shots, not releasing aleph, etc...). Just wee the "mentor bonus" as a warning not to accept the match.

JestersShade

• View Profile
Reply #66 on: September 18, 2018, 09:36:18 AM
nop, sorry.
All I can do is cancel, requeue for every mission ... and maybe have the same mentor mission again!
I've tried it several times but had to resign accepting it in the end most of the times.

So you're right, I know it's going to be a mentor one, but I can't avoid mentor missions if I want to play (yesterday evening with a friend: we only played mentor missions ... sometimes with antags 207 by the way!)

And again, the problem is not helping new players (since the game can't do it itself!) but having them when you try to get a high score for a blueprint or else.

Personally, I would turn off antags and mentor for daily rewards, then put mentor back on (and maybe antags, if I play with friends in an organized team)

MSE_TENKA

• CMC
  • MercurySteam
    • View Profile
    • Mercury Steam
Reply #67 on: September 18, 2018, 01:25:05 PM
Hey all,

We have been following this topic, and we wanted to let you know that we are taking good note of your feedback. The 4 v 1 gameplay is in Spacelords core, but that doesn’t mean we won't refine and improve the experience based in what you, the players, tell us. As we have said before, making changes in a game take a lot of time and effort to pull through, but as you have seen with how the game has progressed in the last few months you can be assured we will keep listening to you.

See you on the Broken Planet!

Agent-Z46

• View Profile
Reply #68 on: September 18, 2018, 02:01:01 PM
Hey all,

We have been following this topic, and we wanted to let you know that we are taking good note of your feedback. The 4 v 1 gameplay is in Spacelords core, but that doesn’t mean we won't refine and improve the experience based in what you, the players, tell us. As we have said before, making changes in a game take a lot of time and effort to pull through, but as you have seen with how the game has progressed in the last few months you can be assured we will keep listening to you.

Even though I don't agree with what a lot of players are saying, it's awesome to know that you guys are paying attention to what fans are saying. :)

Deathprize

• View Profile
Reply #69 on: September 18, 2018, 02:05:44 PM
Yes thank you for the reply.

Replies like this stop the entire thread snowballing out of control which is always a good thing.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #70 on: September 18, 2018, 06:04:30 PM
Hey all,

Thank you for your replay. Your game is truly epic, and as with all things that we love, in causes passion over issues. I want you to know that I love this game, even though it may seem like I am frustrated at times.

You guys are an amazing team!!!