Author Topic: Mentor matches should not allow Antagonists  (Read 26495 times)

Cryptek

• You were indicted
    • View Profile
Mentor matches should not allow Antagonists
on: September 29, 2018, 12:43:31 PM

There is something profoundly wrong about this for both sides, one is that obviously 3 newbies being matched against a high level player only makes you dread the "mentor match" whenever it pops up even more, because not only are you dealing with people who dont know the game, who you cant communicate with but there might also be an antagonist who pops up and destroys your entire team.

Secondly as the antagonist, I didn't die once, I beat them in the big room with lycus and then I proceeded to spawn camp them, that's correct I took them on 4v1 in their spawn. Obviously I could only do this because it was a mentor match with 3 newbies, but for the game to then give you a 6,7 when it was literally impossible to accomplish the mission anymore smoothly just feels like a slap in the face.

This is wronging both sides of the issue.

Eikazuya

• View Profile
Re: Mentor matches should not allow Antagonists
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 01:33:34 PM
Did anyone quit ? Usually 2 out of 3 mentor matches, new players quit.

Cryptek

• You were indicted
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 01:36:39 PM
Did anyone quit ? Usually 2 out of 3 mentor matches, new players quit.
No they lost so fast none of them bothered to pull the plug, although that's usually what happens even without an antagonist, whenever I have a baby-harec on my team I feel like its a 50/50 if they'll stay until the match is over regardless of how well or bad it's going.

Tekato

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 03:17:14 PM
You say it's not okay yet you still went through with destroying these beginners that will probably quit playing this game because of your actions. Inb4 "i'm just playing as intended" gg.

Cryptek

• You were indicted
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 03:26:17 PM
You say it's not okay yet you still went through with destroying these beginners that will probably quit playing this game because of your actions. Inb4 "i'm just playing as intended" gg.
What you want me to just AFK for the entire match or get a disconnect penalty just because its a mentor match?

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 05:51:41 PM
There's your proof people! It is IMPOSSIBLE to get higher scores in PvP as a Raider OR and Antagonists. This guy has the BEST antagonists situation that could have been imagined and he got a 6.7? I've also had games as Raiders where an antagonists was peaceful and we didn't die once and pulled of a 7.5 to 8 in the end. There is currently no incentive to PvP over PvE. You simply get more rewards against the AI. :(

Those poor new players. I wouldn't have attacked them as antag, I don't want to drive new players away from the game. This is probably sure to do so.

Cryptek

• You were indicted
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 06:11:13 PM
Those poor new players. I wouldn't have attacked them as antag, I don't want to drive new players away from the game. This is probably sure to do so.
They where gonna leave anyway if one loss against a high level antag would turn them away, hell a lot of people leave just fighting the computer. The kind of player who will stick with the game wont be deterred by losing in 5 minutes in my opinion, since this game in general will kick your ass, antag or no.

Because lets be fair they're not going to stand much more of a chance at level 10 or level 20, in fact I'd say they probably wont have a chance until they're around level 50 because the first time they face a new character as antag they'll kick their ass simply for them not understanding their strengths and weaknesses.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 06:19:18 PM by Cryptek »

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 06:21:02 PM
I don't thin MSE holds the same sentiment as you. They probably want to retain as many players as possible, and they won't do it with an opinion like that.

Cryptek

• You were indicted
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 06:24:13 PM
I don't thin MSE holds the same sentiment as you. They probably want to retain as many players as possible, and they won't do it with an opinion like that.
Hence why I'm saying that the people responsible for creating the situation (Mercurysteam) should take responsibility and fix the system by preventing people from being invaded by antagonists in mentor matches, since it would actually give veterans an incentive to accept mentor matches, which are already horrible enough mind you (especially for us PC players since we have ZERO communication options).

Whitebleidd

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 12:04:27 AM
Not only should antags not be allowed in mentor matches, I think what is considered a new player in need of mentoring should be increased, imo anyone below lvl 20 should be considered as being mentored.

Hiero_Glyph

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 05:46:22 PM
Just ran into a level 492 antag in a mentor match. Sadly, he went all out and crushed us in a few minutes. I'm sure the level 3 and 8 will keep playing after that experience. The next highest level was me at 81 and of course I was using a stock character since it was a blueprint mission.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 06:11:03 PM
I don't believe stock weapons have strong value in a game that has PvP. They seem more like a liability than a reliable  feature. If the game made PvP optional, i could see them being useful. But, I've never built a stock weapon for normal gameplay. I only build one pre Spacelords re-branding so I could AFK antag and get decent rewards still, while lowering my MMR and getting antag affinity, so it wouldn't be a waste of time. But after they nerfed rewards for losing in this game, I didn't bother with stock weapons and built every weapon to maximize success on a mission. Which to me, seems to be more of a problem than anything lately, with Mentor matches and antagonists.

Hiero_Glyph

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 07:26:09 PM
I don't believe stock weapons have strong value in a game that has PvP. They seem more like a liability than a reliable  feature. If the game made PvP optional, i could see them being useful. But, I've never built a stock weapon for normal gameplay. I only build one pre Spacelords re-branding so I could AFK antag and get decent rewards still, while lowering my MMR and getting antag affinity, so it wouldn't be a waste of time. But after they nerfed rewards for losing in this game, I didn't bother with stock weapons and built every weapon to maximize success on a mission. Which to me, seems to be more of a problem than anything lately, with Mentor matches and antagonists.

Yeah, I didn't really have a choice though since I can't afford to craft the rares, and I don't have a common blueprint for something better. So I'm basically forced to use a worthless weapon with that character since that is the only way to get a better one. Still, facing a level ~500 antag with 2 newbies isn't really fair regardless of which character I was using. It's not fair for the new players, it's not fair for the 2 players that are forced to carry, and it's not fair for the antag to not even get a challenge (although he didn't see to mind killing them instantly).

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 07:35:58 PM
They where gonna leave anyway if one loss against a high level antag would turn them away, hell a lot of people leave just fighting the computer. The kind of player who will stick with the game wont be deterred by losing in 5 minutes in my opinion, since this game in general will kick your ass, antag or no.

Because lets be fair they're not going to stand much more of a chance at level 10 or level 20, in fact I'd say they probably wont have a chance until they're around level 50 because the first time they face a new character as antag they'll kick their ass simply for them not understanding their strengths and weaknesses.

But we're just gonna repeat the same 5 lame arguments over and over again for the 10,000th time. Nothing to see here.

But yeah it's pretty bad that you did that well and got such a low score. Also all of you are looking at the level difference, but no one has even mentioned the MASSIVE difference in MMR here. That's the real crime.

Cryptek

• You were indicted
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 05:02:51 PM

To those who feel bad for the newbies in the first post, I guess you could say I got what I deserved  ;D
22 minutes against a Konstantin doing everything to throw away the bombs or shoot them was grueling work, but getting the two newbies their guns made it worth the effort!
Sadly I doubt that baby-harec is ever coming back.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 05:06:55 PM by Cryptek »